Would you consider switching your IT to cloud computing?

Poll
Would you consider switching your IT to cloud computing?
Yes 10% [ 4 ]
No 63% [ 25 ]
Maybe 18% [ 7 ]
Don't Know 10% [ 4 ]
Total Votes: 40

Author
SysAid Marketing

According to the headlines, cloud computing and software as a service (SaaS) providers are expected to make vast improvements in 2009. Computer World industry pundits predict: 'The biggest technology winners in 2009 will be cloud computing, SaaS and technologies that enable companies to integrate cloud computing and SaaS into their existing in-house IT infrastructures.' The Wall Street Journal points out that '...the slumping economy now has many businesses looking at the category for the first time.'

What are your thoughts? Would you consider switching your IT to cloud computing?
SysAider

Personally I think it is a load of waffle.

As a developer I have tested 4 different cloud computing companies for some of my clients and they all broke at some point.
Cloud computing is supposed to be "expandable" so that your sites will never have congestion issues...4 out of 4 tested said X.
Cloud computing in it's stripped down version, once you get rid of the technical words that were actually only just made up and currently have no real basis in the computing world, is nothing more than a VPS.
A standard VPS which has a dedicated server technician will run as well as any cloud system.

One of the biggest problems I found with using cloud computing was permissions. Due to the VPS nature of cloud there are many companies being served from the same resources and thus developers are never allowed to have full access to a server.

There is a plus, however...I did find one...overheads are almost totally erased.
On a dedicated box if you use 500gig of bandwidth one month and 200gig the next, then 300gig the month after that you are charged the same, because you are paying for the plan, not the resources. In a cloud computing model you are charged for the resource use. Some companies will have a minimum charge, but generally you will pay for whatever you used for that billing period.

"Cloud computing" is a techno buzz phrase being thrown around by non-developers because they have nothing better to do than make up silly names for existing architectures that they have simply pooled. Nothing is new here, just words.

Do not believe the hype...the box is NOT dead!
SysAid VP Product

Dear PHP5er,

You were indeed very clear on one side of the topic, and you base it on your experience with numerous companies so - I am not going to try to convince you......However:
Like everything in life it is not Black or White - the truth lies in the middle

First I think you are referring a bit to Grid computing and less to Cloud computing.... Anyway Cloud computing has a wide range of aspects.

For a true Cloud computing environment to be successful you need the providers of the services to know what they are doing.......and even though there may be problems - transparency is what is expected:
Anyone can have problems with their Exchange or File servers in their organization it is a mix of Hardware and Software which may fail....
The expectation is that it will fail a minimum number of times per year, and that it will be back on line in a very short time without loosing information.

Back to The main issue:
Doesn't matter what it is called : SaaS , Cloud Computing , Web services etc.... The use of online components all the way to a full hosted application is a reality and is being used in almost all organizations, or in the near future pipeline in those where it doesn't exist.
A few examples:
You want to swipe a credit card - you can build an application with interfaces etc... most companies provide a "web service" that performs it in a secure way without the need for any software on your end.
Let's say you want to integrate a map of location of your customers , or a route for your salesmen to follow - integrating an online map into your application, becomes a piece of cake....
Those were example of usage of specific components. You trust these services to work and make them an integrated part of your business process. Taking it up another step to a full hosted solution is just a matter of acceptance and usually a mutual decision with the IT and the management to go down that path.

Small and Medium organizations usually can't afford the robust environments that are designed by the Cloud computing service providers, and if anyone needs to deal with downtime , DRP planning and fast recovery - the current trend is to get it as a service.... and usually it will be better than any in house solution.

Ok - That is all for now.... Be back soon with more.....
I think and hope that this will turn into an interesting discussion......
Remember - no Wrongs and Rights.... just opinions

Oded