How to migrate from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013

Author

There are several roles played by Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 and Exchange Server 2007 including: Client Access, Mailbox, Hub Transport, and Unified Messaging. However, with Exchange Server 2013, Microsoft has reduced the number of server roles from four to two: the Client Access server role and the Mailbox server role. The other two are considered as sub-features of Exchange 2013.

Direct upgrades to Exchange 2013 are only supported from Exchange Server 2007 SP3 Rollup 10 and Exchange Server 2010 SP3. Thus exchange Server 2003 requires a prior upgrade either to Exchange Server 2007 or 2010 and then migration to Exchange Server 2013.

Steps to follow:
1. Upgrade all the Exchange 2010 servers to the latest service pack (SP3) and rollups.
Ensure that the AD forest functional level, schema master, global catalog server, and domain controllers have at least Windows Server 2003.
2. Download the latest version of Exchange Server 2013 on the Windows member server in order to prepare Active Directory and domains for Exchange Server 2013 installation, remember to log in with an account that has permission to the schema, domain, and enterprise. Finally execute setup.exe as shown below:
3. Prepare the schema: From a Command Prompt window, run the following command:
Setup /PrepareSchema

Prepare an active directory: From a Command Prompt window, run the following command
setup /PrepareAD [/OrganizationName:<organization name>]

Prepare the domain: From a Command Prompt window, run the following command

4. On 64-bit hardware prepare Windows Server 2012 for Client Access and Mailbox server role installation as follows:
Ensure a minimum memory of 4 GB and 8 GB for Client Access and Mailbox server roles, respectively.
Ensure that the server has a minimum disk space of 50 GB.
Join the server to the domain and log in with admin permission.
Go to the Windows shell and execute the following command to install the required Windows component.
Download and install Office 2010 Filter Pack 64-bit and SP1 for the Client Access role only.
Finally download and install Unified Communications Managed API 4.0 Runtime.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar. 26, 2017 10:20 AM

SysAid Wiz

Hi...
I got a problem in this area..

Strange one.

I got two site. Let's call it site old and site new.
Each has a couple of ESXi , all four running Vsphere 5.

I want HA so I configure an NLB on two exchange 2010 box (VM).

Now if I move the exchange to the ESXi on site old all is fine.
If I move them to site new.. the exchange servers is ok... but the nlb virtual ip can not be accessed.

We have vlan in place.
But all other clients can work with all servers fine.

Help ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct. 23, 2014 03:42 AM