Change Workflow for multiple assets

Author

Hi,

Is it possible to link multiple assets to my change workflow.
I want to perform the change on multiple servers and only want to create one change.

How is this possible?

Thanks,
Tom
Former Community Manager

Hi Tom,

I'm checking on this one for you. My instinct would be to add the Linked Items field to the change, so you can just add several CI's. When doing so, it's not shown. I'm digging into this one more for you, but I think it'll take a little bit of time. No worries - I'll find something

Cheers,

Michael
Super SysAider

Hi Michael,

Thanks. It's very important for us. I'm still evaluating SysAid and this is very important.
We are a pharmaceutical company and need to track every change.

I also found that it's possible to add several CI's after the change is created and that ok for me.
However the problem is when you close the change and go to the assets => service desk the change
is only visible for the main asset not for the CI's.

But take you time.

Thanks,
Tom
Super SysAider

Hi Michael,

Do you have any news for me? I hope possitive news, this is very important for us.

If SysAid is not able to do this right now could you help me to raise and support a feature request.
( I already made one but it doesn't appaer in the list? Should it be approved upfront? )

Thanks,
Tom
Former Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

I'll bring this up to developers for a feature request. It's interesting, the problem you describe is something I've seen in other tools, not just SysAid. There's usually one "main" CI that can get attached to the change, and then an area where additional changes can be linked. From a "best practice" point of view, I've seen companies structure their CMDB so they have a service defined, and then when they create a change they put that Service as the main CI attached to the change. After that, they then link all the additional CI's (servers, switches, etc.).

If you need visibility of changes from the asset/CI view, would a solution be to modify the view so when you do go to asset -> changes, you see the linked changes?

Cheers,

Michael
Super SysAider

Hi Michael,

We indeed need visibility from all changes made to an asset.
If we click on the Asset we should see everything that happened with it.

Like you suggest if we can see the linked change that's fine.

Right now on the main asset we can see the change in Service Desk, it would be also fine if it was like that for all assets.

It's seems rather to be a bug because if I create a change and click apply I get the 'Linked items' view and there I'm able to add Assets or CI's.
But when I check on the assets the change is only visible in the main asset and not the linked ones.

But any how I should be very thankfull if the developers could implement this.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Super SysAider

Hi Michael,

Do you have any news from the delopers? Is the feature request already launched?
Can I follow it up somewhere?

Thx,
Tom
Former Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

I'll have to check with development. I'm not sure of current priorities now that the latest release is out.

Michael
SysAider

Hi Michael,

I'm struggling with the same problem atm. Is it already possible to attach multiple CI's to a change?

Mendelt
SysAid Product Manager Community Manager

Hi Mendelt,

Could you please clarify your issue? Please provide screenshots if possible.
From my understanding, you can now attach multiple CIs to a change, unless I'm missing something

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Hi Danny,

I've made a screenshot of a change in which we're not able to connect multiple CI's to a change. I had to fade some stuff but this is the case: A 'customer' wants 2 notebooks. So a change is made. To this change we'd like to connect both CI's. The change states that there is 1 main-CI we can connect to this change. Because of this, there is 1 notebook we can not track down. I.e. an employee of ours forgets to update the status of this CI, we're not able to track this asset down.

Mendelt
SysAid Product Manager Community Manager

Ah, now I understand the issue. I was thinking about multiple CIs in Linked Items. The Help Desk tab in CI form view indeed only displays the Changes where this CI is set as main. However, you can view the relevant Change in the "Related Items" tab. Is it of any help in your case?

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

Yes! It's a little different than I had in mind but it does the trick. Thanks!

Mendelt