Question about SysAid for my tech shop, is this the right software for me?

Author

Hello,

Ok so here's my main question. I have been looking at multiple database software and I need something for IT specifically for repair shops. I have been recently promoted to supervisor and I need to make some drastic changes (the old management was handling everything paper based). We expanded to 4 locations and got contracts for warranties for mayor companies. I need a database or software that I can create accounts for technicians and the receptionists so they can fill out service orders for in warranty, out of warranty, in which shop the machine was received, who received it, that it can generate service tracking numbers for the machines (it can be generated on the screen then we could write that number on a sticker and stick it on the laptop desktop etc. and that the Admins (myself and 2 others) can monitor all this info. I wouldn't mind getting the full version of SysAid it looks like it has a lot of things I need from tinkering with the free edition, but since I see a lot of helpdesk items that I do not need or just don't fit with what I need I ask can it be edited for this type of work? is SysAid the right choice for my buisiness? Thanks in advanced for any input!!!
SysAid Wiz

NOnono... you don't buy a system like that.

You already got a good start, you are able to list your requirements (even if there's always a possibility that unconsciously you pick things up as you use SysAid free version... *wicked wink* but it's valid). Prioritize and stick to that list.
If you have local SysAid reseller then have them do presentation.
Even when you really feel good about it after presentation have them conduct a pilot project (Proof Of Concept for some...) which consist of let them do survey and deploy a trial version of the system and let you "take a test ride" with the system.
Match everything back to that list.
Answers should come to you by then.

My opinion, personally ?
No off-the-shelf solutions ever fit 100% with specific customer's need.
SysAid however fit your need like... 80%. Now be aware that is 80% of your post, I highly doubt that post is ALL you need. You're asking us for opinions... much much more important, I think, is you ask your team's opinion. It's not an IT project. It's a business strategy. SysAid covers a need, it does not cover a business.
You feeling me ? *smile*

On a brighter side, with sysaid you get the best practice SysAid provide built-in. This means you might not get just a system, you might get a whole new way of seeing and managing things.

If you do it right...
It's gonna be fun.
*wider wicked smile*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov. 24, 2008 12:32 AM

SysAid Technical Writer

First of all, I would like to thank you for looking at and trialing SysAid. We at SysAid believe we have a fantastic product, and we are always happy to help prospective customers understand how SysAid meets their needs. In regards to your specific needs, SysAid's flexibility is your key to success.

I feel confident that the need for a Ticketing and Tracking solution you described above is fully covered by SysAid. I am sure that SysAid will provide you a solution that will markedly upgrade and improve your service. We frequently hear stories of SysAid cumstomers using SysAid in ways that we never dreamed of when we designed the software. For a repair shop tracking and ticketing system, you will soon learn how to do everything you need, and more.

SysAid has multiple ways that you can record location information, from custom lists to user groups composed of individuals at specific locations. The SysAid asset management module can hold warranty dates, but for recording different types of devices, the CMDB module really shines. The CMDB module has 250+ customizable fields that can vary by item type so that you can have a complete database of all items that come in for repair, sorted by type, with only the specific information that you need for that item type. You can then link these items to service requests, and this relationship goes in both directions. You'll be able to see all past and present service requests on a CMDB item (also known as a CI-- configuration item), and you'll be able to see all CI items attached to a particular service request.

A walkthrough of your particular application would look like this:
You receive a repair request and the item for repair. You create a new service request, using the person who received the repair as the request user. That will automatically fill in their location if you use the company association. Alternatively, you can have a field specifically for the name of the person receive the repair, and then have a location list that you can select from as well.

You can then attach the repair item to the ticket. If it is already in your database, this will take a few seconds. If you don't have this (CI) item in your database yet, you can then enter the information you need on a page specifically designed for the device type in question. Then you can attach the new item to the ticket. After entering the warranty information on the CI item, you can then choose from a dropdown list on the ticket whether the item is in warranty or not. In this way, you'll have warranty information on the ticket and on the device record itself.

After you save the new ticket, you'll have a service request number which you can use for all further tracking purposes. All tickets in the system will be trackable, and if you make your repair technicians admins, they can actually leave all their repair notes on the ticket as well. In this way, you'll have one consolidated solution that does inventory tracking of repair items, logs receipt and return information for devices turned in for repair at your repair shops, and keeps track of all repair notes. If you choose, you can also allow the rep who initially receives the repair to monitor the whole process of the repair so that they can notify your customer of any changes. In addition, creating relationships in the CMDB will give your team members a quick graphical overview of the company, contract, and warranty information pertaining to new and existing Service Request.

I hope this brief process proposal using SysAid is helpful to you. If you have any further questions about specific implementation, please send me an e-mail at david.cohen@sysaid.com, or call me at 800-686-7047 ext. 1.

One other thing-- the free edition of SysAid may not do everything you need. I recommend that you download our free, fully enabled, 30 day evaluation version of SysAid:

https://www.sysaid.com/website/serverTrial.jsp

This special evaluation version allows for unlimited administrators, assets and end users. It also includes all of the available modules. It will really allow you to get a great feel for the full potential of SysAid. I think you'll be very pleased!

Last but not least, enjoy using SysAid!

David Cohen
SysAid Sales Manager