Can't open .DOCX or .XLSX files

Author

Dowload directly to my SysAid
Question:
I don't seem to have the proper software to open files with the .docx or .xlsx extensions. I get a "please select a program to open with...." message.

Answer:

Office 2007 products (Word, Excel ...) create a new format of it's documents and even give it a new extension : .doc ==> DOCX

.xls ==> XLSX etc...

If you have office 2003 installed on your pc and want to open a document created with Office 2007 you will need to install a small patch for office 2003 that takes care of automatically converting the document so you can open it with the 2003 version.

Installing the following patch will solve this for office 2003: https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx

Details on the patch: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats

SysAider

Hi I was following the thread and thought that I would add that, if like us your organisation has not yet completly converted to Office 2007 and still have a multitude of other Office Systems in operation you may want to do the following at the User Level on each machine (Office 2007 only) that is being installed assuming you do not wish to install the conversion files or do not have the permissions to change the settings:

Open Word and click on the 'flashy' button on the top left of the desktop. Select 'Word Options' at the bottom. Now select 'Save'. Under 'Save Documents' you will find 'Save files in this format:' drop the menu down and select (*.doc). Do the same for Excel, with (*.xls) and you are away. Now you can save files automatically in the write format and you will not get any messages back from receipiiants saying that they are unable to read the documents.

You can always change it back quickly when you have all your users updated to 2007.

Regards
SysAider

Vitaly Vlasenko wrote:Question:
I don't seem to have the proper software to open files with the .docx or .xlsx extensions. I get a "please select a program to open with...." message.

Answer:

Office 2007 products (Word, Excel ...) create a new format of it's documents and even give it a new extension : .doc ==> DOCX

.xls ==> XLSX etc...

If you have office 2003 installed on your pc and want to open a document created with Office 2007 you will need to install a small patch for office 2003 that takes care of automatically converting the document so you can open it with the 2003 version.

Installing the following patch will solve this for office 2003: https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx

Details on the patch: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats

For restore lost or corrupted xls files you may use repair excel 2007. It has different facilities for resolving out almost every issues with xls workbooks. The tool starts under all Windows OS and system configurations of your system.
SysAider

this problem is already solved in the Sysaid demo video clip....