Tip: Defining Recurring Events in SysAid

Author

Hello all,

I hope you all had a great holiday season. New Year is always the time for new resolutions - so now that we are all back at the office, my tip this month will be in the spirit of new resolutions. Every New Year I make the same resolution to be as organized as possible (which might sound familiar to some), so the tip I am about to share with you today is the option to define a recurring event under the SysAid Task & Project module (available in the SysAid Full Edition only).

By recurring event, I mean making a list of all the things you need to do on regular basis, like backing up all the servers, receiving new employees, submitting reports - I am sure the list goes on for all of us.

Now wouldn’t you like to be notified about items on your list ahead of time, to avoid having to stay late at work the night before to get these things done?

If you're like me, I'm sure the answer is yes! So here's what you can do:

Under the SysAid Task & Project module, set up a new status which will identity these projects (ie. ones that aren't ongoing) from your regular projects. Try something like 'Recurring Event' and then open the whole list as projects.

Under each project, you can create a list of tasks that need to be done in order to complete this assignment.

For example, the project 'New Employee' could be divided into tasks like:

- Purchase a computer

- Open an account on LDAP

- Set up an extension on CTI

The list of tasks can also be assigned to different people, as not all of them have to be done by us of course.

One more thing I'd like to point out is the Notification Template. By notification, we mean actions. So you can define different templates containing different actions that you would like SysAid to undertake when the project is due. Set SysAid to open a Service Request, send emails, text messages, or all of the above.

Now all that's left to do is connect the notification template to your project and decide what your notification schedule will be. For example, you could set up a timetable for every day, week or month, or run it on-demand as required (ie. like when you hire a new employee).

I hope this will help you stay organized in 2009.

If you need more details, feel free to contact our support team.

Please also contact us if you would like to evaluate this module free of charge for 30 days.

I wish you all happy 2009.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan. 07, 2009 11:43 AM

SysAider

I'm evaluating the module right now and this is great suggestion. We have alot of machinery in our fruit company and we have weekly maintainance routine.
Your suggestion allowed me to set this up in SysAid and it seem to be working perfectly.

I'm still overwhelmed with all the features full SysAid offers...

Thanx
SysAider

Hi there,
Sorry for tagging a question onto this old thread ... I have implemented what is suggested here to set up tasks that raise daily service requests so that we can allocate regular jobs. The question I have is that I'd like to be able to categorise the Service Request so that it is routed correctly. Any thoughts on how I can do this?
Thanks in advance !
SysAid CEO

No problem I still see this old post.
I will be happy to help.
On every task you could deiced what template to use under notification.(look at the screenshot)
When defining what the template project will do if send and SMS, task or SR you can decide how it will look.
So you can set up the category the SR will be open under.
I hope I have helped if not please let me know I am here and happy to help.
SysAider

Thank you, sorry I missed that tab !
SysAider

It will be helpful to have another ‘On Demand’ or ‘Once’ option so that we can enable the Notification for each task instead of combining the 'Send once, now' option/action. We then can enable the notification for this type of event. The ‘Send Now’ button can send the notification for this individual task OR at the Project level, we can hit ‘Send All Notifications’ for all the on-demand tasks. This will come in handy for recurring event such as a Hiring/Terminating employee. Where the notification for this ‘Project’ can be fired off at once instead of us going to each individual task, select ‘Notification’ tab, select ‘Task Notification’ and hit ‘Send once; now’ for each task. The current way of handling on-demand recurring events is not a very efficient way to create ‘Parent-Children’ Service Request (quicklist or Request Fulfillment – from ITIL).
SysAid CEO

Hi WhiteTiger,

I am so happy to get to discuss issues in the community.
I am not sure i have complelety understand your requested if I am not please clarify.
As far as I could understadning you are missing a 'Send All' function were you could send notification for all the tasks at once.
If so we do have this option available on the project level (look at the attached screenshot) what you need to do is go to a project -> click on notification tab -> click on customized form icon -> look under avilable
fields for field named 'Action' move it to visible click save and you will have the same function i am showing in the attached screenshot.

I hope I have addressed your question.

Sarit
SysAider

I am aware of the 'Send All' button from the Notification tab of the Project level. However, for recurring 'on demand' notification that is not scheduled on a fixed interval, your current configuration for notification at Task level does not allow for the notification to be enabled for unscheduled event such as 'New Employee.' You can only 'Send once, now' at the task level. In your example, for 'New Employee project,' it include tasks such as:

1) Setup/Buy a PC/Laptop
2) Setup Phone
3) Grant Access in AD/LDAP,

etc...

Since we cannot enable the Notification at the task level for these unscheduled events (it requires a perio, we have to go 'Setup/Buy a PC/Laptop' => select 'Task Notification' => click on 'Send once; now' for EACH of the tasks above. The 'New Employee Notification' is configured to send email and insert a SR. This does not allow for us to use the Project level notification to send notifications for the list of tasks in the example above.
SysAider

I meant to include the screenshots to show you what I meant.
On-demand Event.docx
SysAider

Is there a guide that is more current? We have the cloud version and can't seem to make this work.
Super SysAider

We just setup one project that covers all our maintenance requirements, then added all the maintenance tasks as tasks in this one project, with their own descriptions and schedules. An SR is created each time a task is scheduled. The main problem with this is that when the SR is automatically created from a task, it doesn't associate the task to the SR under related items, so you can't go into the task and view all SR's created for that task over time. You have to manually create the relationship. Other than that it is the best way to organise regular maintenance.

SysAid, can you please fix this as it is time consuming and prone to human error, and in quality controlled company where ICT is audited several times per year, this is an issue?
Super SysAider

The main problem with this is that when the SR is automatically created from a task, it doesn't associate the task to the SR under related items, so you can't go into the task and view all SR's created for that task over time. You have to manually create the relationship.

SysAid, can you please fix this as it is time consuming and prone to human error, and in quality controlled company where ICT is audited several times per year, this is an issue?
SysAid VP Product

Loud and clear AnthonyMiller,
I added feature request #22433 for linking the incident created from a task back to the task it originated from.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May. 27, 2016 11:19 AM

SysAider

Please can we get an updated guide on this or clarification on how to set this up. The initial post is confusing and outdated. All we want to do it create a recurring ticket/project/etc with monthly IT maintenance tasks.
SysAid Product Manager Community Manager

Hi jdky29,

I recommend you read our SysAid Help > Tasks & Projects Guide. The information on creating recurring notifications can be found under the "Creating and Sending Custom Task Notifications" section.

Cheers,
Danny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul. 19, 2016 04:36 AM