CMDB..... Huh ?

Author

Ok.. I got the idea of the whole change management thing.
But I still don't see how it works in SysAid.
Will it be just an information store to be reference... or it actually integrates as the asset appear on the helpdesk.

So say I have define asset A effect report B.
When the owner of asset A send service on helpdesk will SysAid automagically alert me... this is not regular asset... this one is special and you got problem regarding report B.
Is that how it works ?
Elite SysAider

i have been using sysaid for over 2 years, and have read wide selection about ITIL v2, v3 documents that something like CMDB modules inside. Coming to sysaid i still don't know where and how efectively use CMDB module. Some scenarios about using and why/when using this module would be great.
SysAid Wiz

I got the chance to play with the CMDB a little bit, and as a system administrator, it seems to me like the best thing since bread came sliced (or SysAid, i have a hard time making up my mind on this )

I mean that the option to add unlimited inventory items, and see the relations between your assets, services, software and your suppliers and users is just spectacular.

When you will start using the CMDB in your organization, the CMBD module will be a part of every IT action you will do.

Lets say you have a server, and you need to take it down for upgrades.
Using the CMDB module, you can see which of your services are provided by this server and will be done, and even which assets will be effected.

So lets say that you need to get one of your database servers down, and one of your users open a service request that a software is not working, in the CMDB tab of the service request, you can see the user's assets and the software he is using, and the server's/services needed for it to work properly and that your database server is effecting him.

This is only a small example of the CMDB features, and when SysAid 5.5 will be officially release, we will also release the CMDB documentation that will provide you will all the tools you need to make the most of the CMDB module in your organization

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun. 13, 2008 05:24 AM

Pushing IT forward
CS3
SysAider

Hi,

One way that I use the CMDB is to show the relationship of CI's (client devices) to other CI (support contracts).

My accounting team uses a new relationship field we added - "Is covered by" to locate details regarding which contract (or agreement) is covers a device. That information is useful if a customer buys five hours a month to cover a device, but has used ten hours instead. The billing department can reference the CMDB information to generate a supplemental invoice or whatever.
SysAid Wiz

Haim wrote:So lets say that you need to get one of your database servers down, and one of your users open a service request that a software is not working, in the CMDB tab of the service request, you can see the user's assets and the software he is using, and the server's/services needed for it to work properly and that your database server is effecting him.

Can I have screen shot of this ?
Thanks in advance...
CS3
SysAider

Ok...you asked for it...

First of all the team that takes the phone call is responsible for collecting the user, asset, and account information. If that team can't use the KB (or just plain know how) to resolve the problem, they are instructed to assign the service request (SR) to the next level for resolution (by selecting the appropriate Admin group). In either case, the service request is eventually resolved, then the administrator must update the activities portion of the SR. Once that is complete, the SR status is changed to 'Pending Closure' (a custom added status) not the 'Closed' status request.

The accounting group processes all service requests that are pending closure. Here's the process:

To determine if the hours have been exceded, the bookkeeper just selects the asset, then looks at the CMDB tab and a basic
report from the Analyzer menu to see if the we need to charge the client... Here's the screen shots...

After the billing is completed, the SR status is changed to 'Closed'.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun. 14, 2008 09:40 PM

SysAid Wiz

Most grateful C3...

Ok so to answer my own question... CMDB right now is like Project module before the notification is implemented - simply a USEFUL documentation where much of the action still done by the user.

Ok.
SysAid Wiz

Obelix, This is not just useful documentation although it is very effective way to keep track of your inventory and services, this is also allowing you to see the relations between CI's and that is the the big difference.

Are you a part of SysAid 5.5 beta?
If you are, then you can try it for yourself right now or when SysAid 5.5 will be released, we will provide all SysAid users with the option to trial the CMDB module.
Pushing IT forward
SysAid VP Product

Dear CS3 ,

Bravo on the process you setup !
It sounds great, and I am sure that now that you shared this in details with us SysAiders – it will be widely adopted!

This is a perfect example of a creative process that can be setup using the CMDB,

The extended customization available with CMDB (more then 250 custom fields), and the tight integration with the Helpdesk allows customizing SysAid to your needs.

You are all invited to continue to share more ideas like this one.

Thanks Again to CS3 - the detailed diagram you attached is impressive !

Oded
SysAid Wiz

Haim wrote: Obelix, This is not just useful documentation although it is very effective way to keep track of your inventory and services, this is also allowing you to see the relations between CI's and that is the the big difference.

It's an improvement that we have that information ready, but if you have to create the CI manually (I know the default is good in most cases), established the relationship manually, and check them everytime a service arrive manually... Admin will get overwhelmed very easy very fast.

With the complexity and huge amount of information we have to deal with today... having those information ready is no longer enough. Automation is the key to harvest any computerized system. It's like logs ya know.. you don't watch all of them, you tagged the "failed" and "warning" thing only. Or the other more preffered way around you got notified of those "failed" and or "warning" thing only.

That said...
I love the import function for this specific reason. It categorized the thing into the correct CI and established the correct relationship Automagically !
Now THAT is what going to make a huge different.
Unfortunately... it doesn't work well.
I'll post the problem in it's own thread just in case other experience the same thing in THIS thread.

And even when this work perfectly, they are only TWO CI.
So am gonna wait till this thing matured before I take advantage over it...
*Opps kinda pause*
God I sound like a perv did I ?

Mua ha hah ah ah ah ah ahahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun. 17, 2008 10:39 PM

Elite SysAider

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand how to use the CMDB. So far Without any luck.
If I look at the screenshots above, I see a CMDB TAB. (See attached image)

We don't have that tab in our sysaid???

Best Regards,
René
Take a look at my 3D creations and here is a little animation I made
SysAid Wiz

Rene...
That tab changes depending what menu you choose on the main drop down menu (the black one).
You should see a CMDB menu on the main drop down list on the left. DO you have it ?
First time you choose it, it will take you to a page saying you need license for it and there's a link for temporary license.
You need to download and apply THAT temporary license first... then everything will be available.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun. 19, 2008 09:54 PM

Elite SysAider

That is what I talk about. LoL. We don't have that cmdb button.
Our left menu looks the same as before the update.
The buttons we have are,

admin portal
manager portal
system
helpdesk
monitoring
task/projects
analyzer
preferences.

That's it.

And in the assets menu on the system page (when I click one of the assets) I see a bussines impact tab.

strange....

Best regards,
René
SysAid Wiz

Weird indeed...
Fire a formal SR.
I don't think this is something user can fix.
Elite SysAider

Thanks Obelix,

I did send in a sr indeed..

Kind regards,
René.