illegal characters ('<','>').

Author

Hi,

we get the message 'This field includes illegal characters ('<','>').'

this is only when using the 'add a note' / notes field (used in our changes), we can use these characters everywhere else except on the notes.

is this a common problem or can this be fixed? no idea why any characters would be blocked? all other 'special characters' work fine its just <> that are not allowed.

Thanks
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

Hi chris24jt,

Can you please take a screenshot of this message and provide an example of a text that triggers this when adding a note?

Additionally, which version of SysAid are you using?

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Hi Danny,

Screen shot attached.

running latest on premise release: V16.1.25 b28

you can put any text in the field you want - if there is either < or > then it will throw the error and identify these characters as illegal.

Thanks
Chris

This is certainly strange. I cannot reproduce this issue and searching for this message in our system only brings up results from v9. What was the version of SysAid you have performed a clean full install of on your server, before any upgrades?

Additionally, is Settings > Customize > Appearance > "Modify the "<" character to secure against cross-site scripting" turned on or off for you? Neither should produce the message, but we'd like to know the details.

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Hi Danny,

that option is turned off / unticked

i think the original version we had was 9.1.02 - it was installed in Oct 2013 from looking at the files on the server - i have installed whatever version was available and then we had site visit from Sysaid to do the main installation and there had just been an new version released that changed the layout of the GUI if that helps? or is there a way i can check our revision history?

i have only just been made aware of this issue however ive been told its been around for a long time (possibly since we started with Sysaid)

Thanks

Interesting. Can you send us a copy of your database for investigation?
If so, let me know and I'll PM you the link for this procedure.

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Hello,

I'm having the same issue, since yesterday when I updated to the latest on-premise version:
v17.3.57 b2.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Hi lugon69,

This appears to be a bug #28437, which was fixed in Cloud v17.3.60. You will need to wait for the next On-Premise release for this fix to be integrated.

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

We have the same problem, is there any prediction when next On-Premise release will be available?
Is there any way to get some kind of fix before release?

I'm not aware of a workaround currently unfortunately, no. The next version of On-Premise is currently estimated to be released during Q1, but we don't have an official ETA at the moment that I can promise you. Is it not possible to not use these characters in the meantime in Notes?

If this is something urgent, I suggest you discuss it with your account manager and perhaps some kind of temporary solution can be found.

Thanks,
Danny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan. 11, 2018 11:17 AM

SysAider

It's kind of important, because some of our administrators manually copy approvals which are recieved in email.
I will try to get in touch with our manager.
SysAider

Hah -- I noticed it too. This irritation was fixed a few releases ago, now it has returned from the dead. Eager for it to be fixed. I almost always paste emails into the message box. Now I have to paste them into a text editor and find/replace first. Thanks for addressing this bug! Much appreciated.
JSH
SysAider

You can add us to the list. I just upgraded to v17.3.57.b2 two days ago and the rest of our IT department is now throwing axes at me....

I invite everyone here to sign up for the Pathfinders program to be the first to test out the next On-Premise release when it enters the public beta phase, and enjoy this bugfix

Cheers,
Danny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar. 08, 2018 09:40 AM

SysAider

my user reported this error. Has this fixed?