Some text via email turning into symbols

Author

We have been seeing some of the text coming in via text turning into symbols.

Example:

Working on it……… I’ve been given things to try but nothing has worked so far.

turns into

Working on it……… I’ve been given things to try but nothing has worked so far.

If I look at the email via the Messages tab, it looks correct; does not have the symbols.
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

Hi tmartinac,

This sounds like an encoding issue. Which encoding does the email itself use originally, and which encoding is your SysAid set on? It can be found under Settings > Customize > Account Defaults.

Also, which version of SysAid are you using?

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

We've had the same problem for years. A variety of symbols including hypens are turned into question marks but we just got on with it. Now someone else has raised it it would be nice to fix though.

en-iso-8859-1 encoding and 17.3.57

Thanks

Andrew

Which characters usually get broken? Does the issue resolve if you change the encoding to UTF-8?

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

quote mark
apostrophe

I'll change the encoding to UTF now
SysAider

Apparently not....

1234567890-=
!ӣ$%^&*()_+
[];’#,./\
{}:@~<>?|

changed to

1234567890-=

!?£$%^&*()_+

[];?#,./\

{}:@~<>?|

Seems to be some carriage returns added too.

As I said it's not a massive problem for is, it just looks a little strange sometimes

Andrew Clements

Interesting. I suggest checking this with our support team, perhaps the DB is saving the information incorrectly. Please update here once a solution is found.

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Ours is interesting because it seems like it came with upgrading to the most recent on-prem version last week. I will definitely check our encoding.
SysAider

Danny Tashiev wrote:Hi tmartinac,

This sounds like an encoding issue. Which encoding does the email itself use originally, and which encoding is your SysAid set on? It can be found under Settings > Customize > Account Defaults.

Also, which version of SysAid are you using?

Thanks,
Danny

v17.3.57 b2

our encoding is set to utf-8
SysAider

I'm getting this same issue, I think it might be the collation of the DB in SQL. For some reason when we got our DB back from being converted it was in "Hebrew_CI_AS" collation instead of the "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" collation. Looking on how to change it properly without data loss and it's looking to be in depth.

Hi Colonel

Which conversion did you get the DB from?
SysAider

Old system was Linux using My SQL and we moved to a Windows 2016 server for the SysAid Service and a separate MS SQL 2014 server for the DB

The conversion was performed by our support team? If so, I'll need to forward this to their department so the issue won't occur again. You will also need to contact them if the process to change the encoding seems too daunting. Please let me know though

Thanks!
SysAider

Yes it was converted by SysAid support team.

Thanks, I've notified the team about this. Please let me know when your current issue is resolved.

Thanks,
Danny