Auto-close tickets on prem: question on limitations

Author

I have two escalation rules setup:
1. Aged Out - Escalates service records with status Active. Triggers on 6,480 hours 0 minutes after ModifyTime. Notifies: Administrator, End user. Change status to Aged Out. Change priority to Normal.
2. Autoarchive - Escalates all service record types. Triggers on 2,160 hours 0 minutes after CloseTime. Set the following fields: Archive = Yes

As of right now, both at set to escalation level 1. Prior to that change, which was made roughly 10 minutes ago, Autoarchive was set to escalation level 3 and Aged out was set to 2. We really don't use the escalation rule, so most tickets are either 0 or 1. The Autoarchive rule has been working with no issue since I enabled it sometime in 2017. However, I have not been able to get the Aged Out rule to work, and I'm not sure why.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a limitation on how many hours the field can actually process and I'm somehow hitting that. What am I doing wrong that is causing this?
SysAider

I've tried following the logic presented here, but I haven't seen any improvement.

https://community.sysaid.com/Sysforums/posts/list/13711.page

Now I'm at the following:
Aged Out
Level 10
All Agreements
Escalates service records with status Active. Triggers on 6,480 hours 0 minutes after ModifyTime. Notifies: Administrator, End user. Change status to Aged Out. Change priority to Normal.

Autoarchive
Level 20
All Agreements
Escalates all service record types. Triggers on 2,160 hours 0 minutes after CloseTime. Set the following fields: Archive = Yes

Should I be having it reset the escalation level instead on the autoclose rule?

Is it an issue that I require more time on closing a ticket than archiving it?
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

Hi Sean,

Once a ticket is archived, it cannot accept any changes until it is unarchived. A ticket can receive a close time if its status has been changed to any status of class Closed, even if it was changed back to Active. Therefore, since your AutoArchive rule runs before Aged Out, it can archive tickets before Aged Out is able to reach them. Perhaps setting the Archive Rule to only run on tickets of closed status will fix the issue. Please let me know.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

Danny Tashiev wrote:Hi Sean,

Once a ticket is archived, it cannot accept any changes until it is unarchived. A ticket can receive a close time if its status has been changed to any status of class Closed, even if it was changed back to Active. Therefore, since your AutoArchive rule runs before Aged Out, it can archive tickets before Aged Out is able to reach them. Perhaps setting the Archive Rule to only run on tickets of closed status will fix the issue. Please let me know.

Cheers,
Danny

Here's the thing: the tickets aren't archived; they are still open, and their escalation level hasn't been changed. The reason I have Any Status impacted is that while there is the option to select Any Active status, I cannot selected against any inactive status, so if I choose Closed, I won't get Verified Closed, and would need to duplicate my efforts. A quick glance at the oldest tickets that are still open indicate that they were never closed (at least per the history tab), and some haven't ever changed from New. I'll try changing the rule to only run on closed tickets and see if that changes anything, but then I'll need to sort out verified closed.

I had a dev server setup and, for the sake of speed, had the same rules running at 5 minutes of being submitted, close the ticket, and after 5 minutes of being closed, archive the ticket, and it never had a problem. We even rebuilt our production system because of other issues and the problem persists; that's why I wanted to ask if there was a limitation to the number that can be placed in that field.

I guess to clarify, what is the order that I should be placing the rules? Are the supposed to be listed in order on the Escalation Rules screen, or is the escalation level what drives the bus for this? As it stands now, I have it listed as:

Aged Out, level 10
Autoarchive, level 20

For an example, a ticket that was manually closed, twice, with the latest on 12/5/2017, was autoarchived on 7/21/2018, so that rule is running... even if it was more than the 90 days it should have but less than the day count of the autoarchive rule. When I first implemented the rule, it autoarchived tickets with no issue... but the autoclose never ran.

So, I'll try and change the statuses that are checked, but there's enough other issues that make me think something else is going on.

Thanks,
Sean
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

From my understanding, there should be no time limit for rules. Regarding their order - they run in order - first rule #1, then rule #2, etc. If the conditions of the rule apply, it runs its actions, and raises the escalation level (if set). If the escalation level of a rule is lower than the escalation level of the ticket when other criteria are met, the rule is ignored.

If the same exact scenario works with shorter times, I highly suggest checking this with our support team. Perhaps there is some other oversight we're missing, or maybe some kind of scenario-specific bug.

Please update here with the solution once the issue is resolved, in case anyone else encounters this.

Thanks,
Danny