Bug in tabCtrl.js or Master CSS ?

Author

I have customised master.css to give our sysaid a blue make over, but I have hit a problem with the tab hover over image switch (done by tabCtrl.js), the leftmost idle tab gif does not switch on hover over with the mouse. (see the screenshot taken when my mouse was hovering over the second tab at the time).
I have attached master.css & the zip file containing the different colour images.

*EDIT* I have noticed that only the tabs in the service request view and asset view are affected, tabs in preferences function correctly.

-----------------
The other issue is there is no support in the code for toggling the text color (needs to be white on the dark background) is there a simple modification that can be added to tabCtrl.js to achieve this ?

Installation instructions
----------------------------
Backup master.css before replacing it with this one
the ones in the blue directory in the zip file should go in to root\css\tabCtrl\blue
and rename root\css\leftpane to leftpane.original and replace the leftpane directory from the zip

master.css
changes.zip

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr. 28, 2009 08:10 AM

SysAid Wiz

Hey techguy.

Although it is possible to change the colors in SysAid, we do not officially support this option at the moment as this is not a process that can be done safely.

We are working on introducing customization options to the SysAid interface, which will be available in a future edition and meanwhile we do not recommend applying those kind of changes.

Best regards.
Haim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr. 29, 2009 10:02 AM

Pushing IT forward
SysAid Wiz

Haim wrote:Hey techguy.

Although it is possible to change the colors in SysAid, we do not officially support this option at the moment as this is not a process that can be done safely.

We are working on introducing customization options to the SysAid interface, which will be available in a future edition and meanwhile we do not recommend applying those kind of changes.

Best regards.
Haim

Hang on, that is the whole point that you advertise about SysAid is the fact that it is html based and can be customised.

I have only changed the stylesheet, not re-written the program, and I have done so in a safe manner by putting the revised blue images in to a directory of their own.
Changing a stylesheet is no more dangerous than making changes to the end user portal pages!

The point I am making here is there is a small bug with the tabs in those two views, probably a typo when specifying "tab_idle_leftmost.gif", the customisation works correctly when displaying the tabs elsewhere in the system.

Would you please reconsider looking in to this issue as I am sure it is a very simple fix affecting only those two views.

Otherwise what is the point of these forums if we are not going to discuss interesting topics as well like customisations? I might as well just contact the helpdesk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr. 29, 2009 11:19 AM

SysAid Wiz

Hey techguy.

I'll try to explain to you why, at the moment, we do not officially support changes to the files you changed.

Those files are being changed from version to version, and you currently do not have the option to direct SysAid to a different copy of the files (like with the end user's HTML files) so no matter how you will customize the colors and the admin portal, it will be over written with each new patch you will apply.

That's what i meant by "can't be done safely".

I passed the issue you raised to our development team after writing the first post so this can be inspected.

Meanwhile, we recommend customizing the end user portal (which is the only visible part to your end users and customers) and wait to the official feature that will enable quick and easy customization of the admin portal.

Best regards.
Haim
Pushing IT forward
SysAid VP Product

Hi there and let me join in to this....

Previous releases of SysAid with the previous UI allowed a wider range of customization of colors, fonts , backgrounds etc...
From Release 5 and up we performed a major face lifting and a makeover for all the screens and UI.
This upgraded SysAid's look and feel, and also naturally introduced some new design elements.

We are aware of the fact that you SysAiders would like the ability to take complete control of how SysAid Looks by changing color schemes etc to fit your organization.
As I said - the new design elements that were introduced (back in 2007) create a challenge for us to allow you the levels of freedom in the design.

As Haim mentioned, the customizations are possible today due to the way SysAid is built, but not fully supported yet throughout all SysAid product and upgrades - We are planning to better support your customization needs by introducing new features that make these customizations easier.

By the way, release 6.0 introduced a much higher level of control on the webforms, giving you full access to the .css files that will affect only the end user portal and not the Admin GUI, with these files you can customize almost anything on the end user portal.

Techguy, thanks for your specific inputs on what you see is missing at the moment - I will make sure they are considered as part of the planned enhancements, sometimes it is a bit more complicated than it seems, as we need to support the different browsers and platforms etc...

Regards,

Oded
SysAid Wiz

techguy wrote:
The other issue is there is no support in the code for toggling the text color (needs to be white on the dark background) is there a simple modification that can be added to tabCtrl.js to achieve this ?

I have managed to work this one out for myself.

add these lines to master.css

.Hover .Tab_Center SPAN
{
color: #ffffff;
}

---

So if R&D can fix the minor display bug in those 2 views It will be complete.

Thanks Oded & Haim for your follow up postings, sorry I felt a bit like I was being told off in Haims' first reply.

SysAid Wiz

I have updated my modified master.css file for version 6.508 (it is based on a proper master.css for this version)

each change in the css file has a comment /* Customer Change */
and the original line commented out below that
then the new line

but I have discovered a naughty bit of style coding Devs that is over-riding the css see the code below for the news item header in the left hand panel, in the admin and manger portals
someone has forced the color to be white by specifying it in the code instead of using the style tag! Can you raise this with dev for fixing please.

I have removed some of the angle brackets so the forums will display it correctly

Also in the dashboard page instead of using class "HeaderText" for the headings, someone has used class "HeaderGray", so to override that I had to do something very naughty and change a stylesheet element called "HeaderGray" and change the color element within it to be blue!

Please could you log these to stylesheet issues as defects for me please and post the SR numbers back here

I know as discussed above this isn't fully supported, but if you are going to base your design on styles sheets then they should be used correctly.

Thanks.
master.css

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan. 27, 2010 04:43 AM

SysAid Wiz

techguy wrote:

but I have discovered a naughty bit of style coding Devs that is over-riding the css see the code below for the news item header in the left hand panel, in the admin and manger portals
someone has forced the color to be white by specifying it in the code instead of using the style tag! Can you raise this with dev for fixing please.

Also in the dashboard page instead of using class "HeaderText" for the headings, someone has used class "HeaderGray", so to override that I had to do something very naughty and change a stylesheet element called "HeaderGray" and change the color element within it to be blue!

Please could you log these to stylesheet issues as defects for me please and post the SR numbers back here.

Hello mods, can I have a response please?
SysAid VP Product

Hi Techguy,
Let me join in this discussion and give my 10 cents....

We are currently working on the CSS master file in a few aspects.
- First we are consolidating all styles from various pages into the css master file (as you wrote - some places within SysAid still have their own settings)
- We are also planning to create a dynamic css file that will accept user customizations of certain elements - this will make sure that future upgrades don't overwrite user customizations.
- And more.

I am aiming to include as much as possible in Release 7.0, but some of the issues may span to the following release as well.

I will keep you all updated in the next few weeks - stay tuned to the Feature request forum and the status of the FR-s (Planned for next release)

Oded

SysAid Wiz

Oded M wrote:Hi Techguy,
Let me join in this discussion and give my 10 cents....

We are currently working on the CSS master file in a few aspects.
- First we are consolidating all styles from various pages into the css master file (as you wrote - some places within SysAid still have their own settings)
- We are also planning to create a dynamic css file that will accept user customizations of certain elements - this will make sure that future upgrades don't overwrite user customizations.
- And more.

I am aiming to include as much as possible in Release 7.0, but some of the issues may span to the following release as well.

I will keep you all updated in the next few weeks - stay tuned to the Feature request forum and the status of the FR-s (Planned for next release)

Oded

in the meantime though could you repair the tab display issue though? the other 2 style issues are not critical, but the leftmost idle tab gif not switching on hover over with the mouse in the service request view and asset view, means it doesn't look as nice as it should.
I did open an SR #281083.
SysAid Wiz

Also pointed out in this thread https://www.sysaid.com/Sysforums/posts/list/0/3820.page#17627 the end user portal is using badly named style elements in master.css :-

yes it is another case of naughty style elements called "HeaderGreen" and "Greenlink" in master.css which should have been named something like "EUPHeader" and "EUPHeadingLink" because if you over-ride the element in the style sheet with blue for example, the style names no longer make sense.