Service Breach Report Calculation

Author
Super SysAider

Hi All,

please can you help me determine why my standard Service Breach Report is reporting breaches which i do not consider a breach.

Attached is some information on the request:
SR History
SR Details
SR Due Period
Service Request Timers

From my opinion, the Service Request was closed within the 4 hour Due time and as such should not report as a breach on the report.

This SR is one of many i am querieng so i think it's a setting or something i've missed??

Your Help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Wesley.
SR105.pdf

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jul. 24, 2008 04:20 PM

SysAid Wiz

Hello WeZ.
Welcome to the SysAid community.

Service breaches reports are not based on the due date, but on timers you can configure in SysAid (at preferences > helpdesk settings > timers)

When you have timers set up to reflect your SLA requirements, you can run the service breaches report and then you can see which requests did not make the SLA terms.

best regards.
Haim
Pushing IT forward
WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Haim,

Thanks for the reply, but i am still confused.

in any SLA it will say e.g.
critical requests to be repaired in x hours
urgent requests to be repaired in y hours
high requests to be repaired in z hours

To me this means that if a critical request was not answered in x hours, then there is a breach.

so to cater for this, your system allows you to define different due dates per urgency level which is correct.

you work out your "time to repair" timer as the time when the status <> new and status <> closed. Timers just allow you to calculate the amount of time a request spends in certain statuses to make up the timer value. the timer is calculating the time correctly.

where do you define that a service request has breached a certain timer when it has gone over the times specified in helpdesk settings?

or am i confusing you too now?

Kind Regards,
Wesley.
SysAid VP Customer Relations

Hey Wez,

As Haim mentioned earlier, the service breaches report doesn't take the due date into consideration. I do agree that a new report should be added to tell you how many requests exceeded their due dates and we will process that as a feature request.

For now, you could create a number of reports:
Service breaches for critical requests - threshold should be x hours and the filter expression should be setup to only count the critical requests only.
Service breaches for urgent requests - threshold should be y hours and the filter expression should be setup to only count the urgent requests only.
Service breaches for high requests - threshold should be z hours and the filter expression should be setup to only count the high requests only.

You can save these reports into the My Reports section (only applies if you are a Manager in SysAid) to prevent from creating these reports everytime.

Enjoy!
WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Joseph,

considering I have different status timeframes based on category and subcategory, i would have to create hundreds of reports and this is not practical.

is there any way to align these to escalations? escalations work just fine and i would like to align a breach with an event when a request is escalated only?

Kind Regards,
Wesley.

Wez,

I'm not sure how escalation fits in. As I understand, you have due dates setup on service requests by the urgency/priority. Is that correct?
If so, then you only need to set as many reports as you have urgencies.

WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Joseph,

you will be able to see from the attached spreadsheet that i have over 90 due times set up and as such you can understand that creating 90 reports is not the way to go.

to me a "breach" is when the due date/time has elapsed (and the request is still open) regardless of what the category/subcategory/urgency is - and i feel that the "service Breach" report which requests a number of hour value, should be refering to the number of hours after the due time.

everybodys assistance in this matter is appreciated.

Cheers
WeZ
duetimes.xls

WeZ,

This list certainly makes our proposal irrelevant. I'll get one of our developers to check if such report could be made in a reasonable amount of time.
WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry that we bought the system from you last year and only now are we implementing it so more of these issue's might come up in the near future, but i appreciate the time you intend to spend on this issue for us.

Much Appreciated, thank-you - and i look forward to your results.

Kind Regards,
Wesley.

WeZ,

We have an update on this. A report that takes the due date into consideration instead of timers is not possible to make at the moment. We are adding this as a feature request.
You have two options for this:

1. As a workaround, you can create a new status named 'OverDue-Open' (or something like that). You can then create an escalation rule that will escalate all active requests 0 hours since the due time (meaning, anything that passes the due date). A new timer for Status = OverDue-Open will allow you to use the standard Service Breaches reports for that purpose.

2. The other option would be to get us to develop this for you as a custom development project. If this is something that could interest you, please send us an example of exactly what you want to our helpdesk. We will then quote you for that project.

Best regards,
Joseph.
Elite SysAider

So I can create a status of Overdue, create an escalation that applies to all Open tickets that are past their due date that changes them to this status of Overdue, create a Timer that counts the time that it was in "Overdue" status, and then filter a any of the reports by OverDue Timer > 0?

I too have widely varying SLA times for specific outages and am more interested in tracking by "Due Date" vs a single "Breach Threshold" -- I will try this first thing monday.

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug. 10, 2008 08:50 AM

Harold,

That's exactly the workaround. Please report back how this is working for you.
WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Joseph,

I calculate the Response Times and Resolution times separately using statuses and as such i will need to scope the impact of automatically changing statuses of requests on these calculations.

I will let you know if this workaround is feasible or not.

Cheers
WeZ

WeZ,

You can still add the new status to existing timers, to prevent it from affecting existing timers.

WeZ
Super SysAider

Hi Joseph, it's the automatic changing of Status that has me concerned. I basically use 3 of my statuses; "New", "Implement" and "Closed".

When a call comes in and a member of my staff are ready to attend to a call, they change the status from New to Implement. this indicates they are working on the call. They then work on the call and when the call is resolved, they change the status of the request to closed.

So my Time to Respond is calculated on the SR where Status = New. Time to repair is calculated on the SR where Status <> New and Status <> Closed. Repair Time is calculated on the SR where Status = Implement

Although it appears quite simple, adding a situation where a status is taken out of a status and placed into another status not only will affect these calculations, but will require training to my staff that use the helpdesk to understand why the status is changing automatically etc etc - change control, you know what i'm talking about.

I will let you know once i've had a chance to investigate your workaround.

Would like to see if Harold has success though.

Cheers
WeZ