Time to repair (operating hours)? What does this mean?

Author

Hello all,

We created a chart for our dashboard, and we found one that looks interesting, but we can't quite figure out how the data is generated. The chart is called: Service Quality by Timer / Time to Rep (see attached picture). Our question are:

1. What does "time to repair" mean?
2. What if you have a ticket that was open for 3 months. When it is finally "repaired" (Whatever that means), does that huge chunk of time get added to the day/month the ticket was opened? the month it was closed?

Anybody have any idea on how this data is pulled and compiled?

thanks

-brandon
SysAid Customer Success Manager

Hi Brandon,

I think I sent you a reply to your SR but...

The Time to repair value is a combination of several statuses that you can view\edit here:
Preferences > Help Desk Settings > Timers

Let me know if this answer your questions.
Best Regards,
Itay
Elite SysAider

Thanks... I see what is listed there, but it still doesn't make any sense. So "Time to repair" simply means that the status is not closed, verified closed, or deleted? Does that mean it is "repaired" when a ticket is new and it's status is "open"?
SysAid Customer Success Manager

No, it means that this is the time it took you to close the SR since it was open until it was closed.

You can change it or add new one according to the statuses you want to use.
Best Regards,
Itay
Elite SysAider

Itay, could you please answer my #2 question? When you pull the report, which month would it apply to? If you are looking at monthly details, and you have a ticket that was open for 6 months lets say, would it add it to the month it was opened or the month it was closed? (the month it was opened, I assume)
SysAider

Hi Brandon,

I have the same issue, was a solution found?

Thanks
Tumelo
SysAider

Is this a # of days, or # of hours?
Elite SysAider

Timers are VERY powerful and intersting way of keeping track of accumulated time.

Here is a quick primer:

1) CONFIGURE your operating hours
2) build the qualifications you want to apply for when a timer is to start counting.

For example, we have a - 'time to respond' timer.

When a new ticket is made the status is NEW

This 'time to respomd' timer increments when a ticket is NEW and STOPS incrementing when the status has changed to anything else.
As soon as one of my techs works on a ticket they may 'fix' the problem and CLOSE the ticket, or maybe they change it to 'Open' to continue working on it. Regardless - the status is no longer 'NEW' so the 'time to respond' timer is no longer counting/growing/incrementing. In other words the timer has stopped.

It is more sophisticated that what I am explaining but this will suffice:

So let's say someone emails to the support mailbox at 6AM
The ticket is created with status new.

Our office does not open until 8AM - since this is OUTSIDE of our operating hours the 'time to respond' timer is not incrementing.

At 8AM the timer starts to increment. My tech finally calls the customer at 9:15 - and changes the status to open.
So now the timer has accumulated 1 hour and 15 minutes of time.

We also have several other timers. Here are two examples:
- time to repair - total time a ticket is not closed
- breach time - total time a ticket is an escalation level of 6 or greater

I hope that helps!
Elite SysAider

Oh, and on the SQL DB the timers are in milliseconds
When you pull a report out of SysAid they are converted to hours.
SysAider

It is clear about the "time to respond"

Regarding the "time to repair", as mentioned like "time to repair - total time a ticket is not closed", it is a little confusion...

what about the different status, will it trigger the start/stop of the timer, like "waiting for user", since it is no good to measure the IT staff performance,

if yes, could you pls list the influences on all the different status?

Looking forward to your reply!
Former Community Manager

Hi bolg,

There is a setting in SysAid to adjust when the Time to Repair timer is counting down; it's listed in the settings under Service Desk -> Timers, and there's a definition for Time to Repair. Out of box, the expression is that an incident status is not closed, not verified closed, and status is not deleted. You can modify the expression to include the pending states. This will make it so that as soon as status is 'Pending,' the Time to Repair timer stops counting down.

When it comes to computing Time to Repair, I've been in countless debates as to when a timer should be put on 'hold' and when it should be ticking away. jerdman gives a pretty good example as to how his organization utilizes the timer settings to match their operating hours. The two biggest factors are to 1) if timers should ticket away outside of operating hours and 2) if timers should tick away during pending states.

If the ticket is open for 3 months as an "Open" status, then yes, Time to Repair will compute to over 3 months - that looks very ugly for reporting when often those incidents stay open because of ongoing investigation. If you have the ITIL module, it's worth looking into following a process to open Problem tickets for those type of incidents so you can start separating out those that need to be open for long periods of time during investigation, and those incidents that have quick workarounds that get the user back to work as quickly as possible, which is the ultimate goal of incident management. If you're working strictly within Incidents, then using a Pending status can help with reporting.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss more. I'm a big process geek and it's always interesting to find ways to improve how IT functions.

Michael