Dashboard - Showing Closed Incidents

Author

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to set up a couple of custom dashboard views, one of which is to show historical calls.

The problem I have is that the 'Active Service Requests' chart is just that - Active calls. It is ignoring any call with a status that that are set to 'Closed' in the 'Cusomise List' view of Sysaid.

Does anyone know how I would be able to toggle, or possibly create a new speedometer graph, which will give me an overview of 'Closed' incidents?

Many thanks as always
Nick
Super SysAider

Having done some more playing around, I guess my question should be - How can I import my own custom reports into the Dashboard views?
Super SysAider

Sorry for the multiple messages - i've found a way around this now, so please delete & ignore this thread!
SysAid VP Customer Relations

Hi nicks81,

I started looking at this topic and got a bit confused as of why you would even want a speedometer-like chart for all service requests. If you would look at closed requests, the chart will always go up and never go back down...
Can you explain the logic in that?

Also, since you said you found a way around that, would you mind sharing your solution with the rest of us?

Thanks,
Joseph.
Super SysAider

No problems Hope this makes sense.

My original terminology was a little misleading - instead of being 'Historic' calls the reporting was actually meant to show incidents with custom statuses, which were set to be class: Closed in order to keep them seperate from day-to-day incidents. Our management requested these still be logged in the system but not show up in the dashboard views by default (or the main Service Request view. The easiest way at the time seemed to be setting them to be 'Closed' instead of 'Open', which allowed us to view them if required, but did not show them by default in the other views or the main Service Request view.

Because of this, the 'Active Service Requests' report in Design Dashboard was unable to see these statuses, and we were unable to create a graph on these requests. If we changed them to Class: Open, our main Service Request view was clogged up by a lot of non-critical Report & Training requests.

Instead of trying to get the dashboard to show a custom report on these statuses, I changed them all to be Class: Open, and then applied a new filter to the main Service request view:

Name: Type
List Field: status
Lookup table: cust_values where list_name = 'status'
Lookup filed: *blank*
Lookup caption: value_caption
Lookup key: value_key
Filter Items: Incident: (status = 1 or status = 2 or status = 3 or status = 4 or status = 5 or status = 6 or status = 7)
Filter Items: Training (status = 14 or status = 15 or status = 16 or status = 17 or status = 18 or status = 19 or status = 20)
Filter Items: Report: (status = 35 or status = 36 or status = 37 or status = 3

By default, the Service Request view filters on 'Incident', which displays exactly the same incidents as it did previously. We can now filter and show all Training or Report requests from the same view, which has actually improved operation of the queue (previously we had to filter specifically for 'Status: Report Request Open', 'Report Request In Progress' etc, and couldn't see ALL report request statuses in one screen)

Back to the Design Dashboard, now that all the statuses are shown as Class: Open, the 'Active Service Requests' report can see them all. I've created several new views, filtering on Status Indidents: (Status = New Or Status = Open Or Status = Pending Or Status = Postponed)
Reports: (Status = Report Request Open Or Status = Report Request Scheduled Or Status = Report Request In Progress)

Now we have several Speedometer graphs, one for each of our incident types, and three seperate views of the main Service Request view.

In hindsight, this would have been a much better way of setting up the custom statuses to begin with, but it took a request for multiple dashboard views to make me realise it.

That's brilliant! I wouldn't do it in any other way...
I'll add and say that class Closed, in its concept, should only be set on statuses that are marking the end of a service request life...

Thanks for sharing!
SysAider

Joseph Zargari wrote:Hi nicks81,

I started looking at this topic and got a bit confused as of why you would even want a speedometer-like chart for all service requests. If you would look at closed requests, the chart will always go up and never go back down...
Can you explain the logic in that?

Also, since you said you found a way around that, would you mind sharing your solution with the rest of us?

Thanks,
Joseph.

I would like to display Closed Isses on a speedometer type dashboard for the last 3 months (so it would not just go up and up)

can it be done?

K

Hi Grumpy,

I went over the available graphs and unfortunately couldn't find anything that could be modified to suit your needs. We may need to address this as a feature request.
Can you explain the logic behind this? Why would you want to know the amount of closed requests of the past three months? Is this information relevant to you on your day-to-day work? If not, perhaps we could just make a report or matrix drill-down to show this information...

Thanks,
Joseph.
SysAider

May be a bit late to the party with this one. (just noticed post date was 2012)
I found a dashboard view that can show closed calls, it's not ideal but it may help some people.

Set a dashboard for Highest Values
Then set a filter to look for status is closed
the set the SRs attributed to something relevant category/administrator/company
SR variable to count
Then set the date to something relevant Last 7 days - last 30 days - or current year > sorry there's no option for three months

it will display a graph showing the top four category/administrator/company with the highest amount of closed calls.

As to the logic behind why someone would want this - there are a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Firstly I think displaying the number of calls we have managed to close gives a better picture of how busy we are than just displaying the active calls.

Secondly I think It helps focus administrators on actually closing calls.