Tip of the Month – Control the notes field of a service request

Author

When handling and resolving technical issues, it’s important that you have an accurate and up-to-date history of every service request. The Notes field of a service request can be particularly useful in communicating important information to other IT administrators who may look at the issue again in the future.

Before the release of SysAid 7.0, any administrator could open the Notes field and directly edit whatever text had already been written there in the past. With the release of SysAid 7.5, we added a new feature that gives you much more control over the Notes field: the “Add a note” button.

Under Customize, open Appearance. At the bottom of the page, you’ll see the field “Allow notes to be added only by using the ‘Add a note’ button.” Choose “Enable” and then save your settings.

When this feature is enabled, you can no longer click directly in the Notes field and edit the text. Instead, you must click on the “Add a note” button and enter the note in the pop-up box that appears. Once you click “Add,” your name and a timestamp will appear next to the note.

This is just another way to make sure your help desk records are as accurate as possible!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar. 02, 2011 02:01 AM

SysAider

Hi Sarah,

Can sysaid have multiple fields with the same functionality?

Regards
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

yasin wrote:Hi Sarah,

Can sysaid have multiple fields with the same functionality?

Regards

Hi Yasin,

If I understand your question correctly, this is indeed possible by using the pre-defined custom fields which you can search for at SysAid Help > Customize Forms to get more information.

Alternatively, you can create your own custom fields (if your SysAid edition permits). You can search for more info about this at SysAid Help > Fields Customization.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

I'm interested too to this functionality but I can't find how we can do.

I want to have two "Notes" fields, one for IT comments, and other for User interaction. but I want that the two fields have the button "Add note" .

It's possible?

Hi jburgos,

Only the default Notes field has this button at this point. Custom Notes fields will only contain a textbox. The addition of an "Add" button is currently an open feature request #319.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

How I Can find this FR? I want to vote

There doesn't appear to be a thread for this FR, so you are welcome to create one in the Feature Requests forum

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

But you tell me that exists an open feature request #319.

I don't understant why I must to create a new FR.

Not all feature requests that exist in the system are opened through the forum, or discussed publicly. This feature request is one of them, opened by a customer in our helpdesk. Since a forum thread for it doesn't exist yet, you can create a new one, while putting the FR# in its title, to attract other customers' attention to it and allow them to vote.

Hope I've made it clearer

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

jburgos wrote:I'm interested too to this functionality but I can't find how we can do.

I want to have two "Notes" fields, one for IT comments, and other for User interaction. but I want that the two fields have the button "Add note" .

It's possible?

We have the following customization in place till the feature request is implemented, of course replace 'CustomColumn70' with 'CustomColumnXX' in your instance.

Let's hope a similar implementation would take place in the next release at least

Cheers!
SysAider

Danny Tashiev wrote:Not all feature requests that exist in the system are opened through the forum, or discussed publicly. This feature request is one of them, opened by a customer in our helpdesk. Since a forum thread for it doesn't exist yet, you can create a new one, while putting the FR# in its title, to attract other customers' attention to it and allow them to vote.

Hope I've made it clearer

Cheers,
Danny

Greetings Danny,

I have to say I agree with jburgos too in this point. If a customer makes an FR we should ideally get a vote on it for it to be mutually beneficial for both customers and SysAid wouldn't it?

Please share a link?

Cheers!

Hi yasin,

Thanks for sharing your customization!

Regarding the FR - I'm not sure what link you are requesting? As mentioned before, there is no current thread for this FR -- so a new one can certainly be created. Unless I understand you wrong?

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

I am referring to a link of FR #319

I think there's a misunderstanding here, but I went ahead and created a thread for this feature request, where you can vote

Thanks for the feedback,
Danny
SysAider

Thank you Danny!