Tips for using SysAid for multiple departments

Author

A Tip from Sarah Lahav, the Head of SysAid Customer Service and Support Team

Here are some useful tips for you, SysAiders who use SysAid for multiple departments in your organization:

• Define different administrators for different admin group based on the different departments.

• Use a first level category to define the different department/services supported in SysAid. For example: IT, Accounting, HR etc.

• Use routing rules to forward the different tickets to the designated people.

• If you would like administrators to be able to view only the ticket of their own departments, you will need to set administrator permissions under:

• Preferences User Management administrator tab open administrator account permission tab

Modify/view Service Requests that are assigned to the user and the group.

Our Customer Service and Support team will be happy to help you in configuring SysAid for multiple department uses, so you could maximize SysAid benefits for your company!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep. 07, 2008 11:15 AM

SysAider

At this moment we do want to use SysAid for multiple departments, but changing the first level category isn't that easy. It is now configured for just one department and the categories as we have now up to 3 levels deep work so nicely.
    Is there another way to organize this. Install with different databases may be?

Arjan
    SysAid Customer Success Manager

Dear arjanc,

You can simply add as many Categories you want you do not need to change any thing:

You can configure SysAid so that multiple departments could handle their tickets in the same system, while locking each department to its records. To configure this, follow the below instructions.

1. You need to create a category for each department. Within that category, each department should have their own subcategories and third-level categories. This should be configured in Preferences > Help Desk Settings > Categories tab.

2. You should create Administrators groups for each department (Preferences > User Management > Groups).

3. You should create routing rules (Preferences > Help Desk Settings > Routing rules tab) to automatically route the service request to the admin group based on the category that the end user selected.

4. (optional) If you have a designated mailbox for each department, you can setup email integration with each mailbox to submit service requests in the corresponding category (this will route the service requests to the appropriate group by the rules created in step 3). This should be configured in Preferences > Integration > Email tab.

5. (optional) If you need to manage assets separately for each department, you should create an asset group for each department in Asset Management > My Network Assets.

6. The final step would be to limit the permission on the admins. If you go to Preferences > User Management and click on an administrator account (this should be configured for each admin), you should be able to limit the admin to view/modify service requests that are assigned to that admin and to a group they are members of. Also, you should configure the admin to view assets in the asset group (if created in step 5).

Thanks Inna
    Super SysAider

Can I make a couple of suggestions for future development of SysAid and multiple departments...

1. Most departments have different requirements of how they want their helpdesk to operate. To this end, it would be useful to make most of the settings in Preferences -> Help Desk Settings -> General Settings .. per user group.

2. On the Admin Portal, it currently lists the total number of unnasigned service requests regardless of which user group you are restricted to. Would be good to restrict this number to SR's in the groups to which you are assigned.

Dear pharlap,

Thank you very much for the suggestion, however the permissions of the Admin groups and the user groups is listed in Preferences > User management > groups > Permissions tab because this section is responsible regarding all the user's configurations and I think it will be a little confusing If this will be in the different sections.

Also if you routing all your categories to Admin groups which is associated with departments and you limit in the permissions to only their data(see section 6 in my previous post). So when an admin will access Help Desk List he will see only SRs that assigned to none which associated only with his department and his Admin group.

And if you have the main Admin who can see all the SRs in the Help Desk so you can just to make Department filter or Group filter that when he use it he will see all the SRs that assigned to none in every department or Admin group.

Inna

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec. 24, 2010 02:29 AM

SysAider

Dear All,

I have replied to this threat since it is closely connected to what I want, I you guys feel it is not then please let me know and I will open a new threat.

I have created new categories, groups and network assets for a company with several departments. Is it possible to set the end user forum up in such a way that when a user logs in he/she can only select the assets that apply to the category/group or department that user is member of?

I tried to use company and department but that did not work (see threat https://www.sysaid.com/Sysforums/posts/list/6157.page#26361).

Thanks!

Dear HostVentura,

In the asset you have owner so when you choose the owner of the asset and go to and user portal with the end user who is the owner of the asset it should appear there.

If you want that the list of the assets will be not according to the owner but according to company or department you should raise a feature request and i will Also vote for it.

Thanks Inna
    SysAider

Dear Inna,

I just submitted a feature request for adding a department as an asset owner. Your vote would be most welcome.
    Elite SysAider

Dear Sarah, Ariel and Inna,

We have configured everything as suggested and the IT Manager is happy because we have been able to implement a multiple department service desk process, but he is complaining now because he considers it incomplete yet. The problem is with the Manager Dashboard.

He, as the head of IT, needs to see charts that are relevant to IT operations but in the particular case of the "by Category" charts (Open SRs by Category and Active SRs by category charts), charts he considers really important, it is displayed only the first level of category (SRs by department distribution) and he needs to be able to see only the IT Department SRs broken down into the IT Department Subcategories, so that he can see the distribution of the SRs in the IT department categories.

And of course he wants us to deliver dashboards to the heads of the other departments in a way that they can monitor the Operations of their departments including this by category charts showing only the subcategories of each department.

He has told us he considers our multiple department incomplete until we can deliver him such charts, we have looked all around the forum but we have not found a way to accomplish this.

I am quite sure there must be a way to deliver such charts in the dashboard. Can you please provide us with the required steps to do it??

We will really appreciate your help!!
    SysAider

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question - so apologies if not...

So far, I've got SysAid set-up for multiple departments (MIS and Estates) - to a point it's all working perfectly....

I have configured the following:
    Define different administrators for different admin group based on the different departments.

Use a first level category to define the different department/services supported in SysAid. For example: IT, Accounting, HR etc.

Use routing rules to forward the different tickets to the designated people.

If you would like administrators to be able to view only the ticket of their own departments, you will need to set administrator permissions under

We also set-up a second mailbox for the Estates Department (the main mailbox is mis.helpdesk@domain.com, second mailbox is: estates.helpdesk@domain.com). and when users email to the estates address, the job is logged correctly to the estates departmet.

The one problem I can't seem to fix is that the default email address is obviously the first one created (mis.helpdesk@domain.com), so any calls automatically logged into the system get the automatic response from that account. This means that even if calls are logged via estates.helpdesk@domain.com they appear to be logged to MIS to the end user? If that makes sense?

Is this something that could be configured differently??

Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks