How do you keep your servers, workstations and remote computers up-to-date ?

Poll
How do you patch your software ?
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 58% [ 668 ]
Automate patching with Windows Update and for non-Microsoft applications wherever possible 15% [ 171 ]
Manual periodically check applications websites for new issued updates 11% [ 128 ]
Third party Patch Management solution 8% [ 96 ]
I don't deal with it at all... 7% [ 86 ]
Total Votes: 1149

Author

It is a challenging task to keep up with and apply security or software changes within the IT infrastructure. Especially if the networks span multiple locations, include multiple domains, traverse multiple firewalls, and include remote and home users. Network Patch management is not just scanning for and applying fixes. Often patches need to be deployed in a test environment, undergo an approval process or require multiple steps to deploy.
So, how do you keep your IT infrastructure up-to-date with the latest important security patches and software updates, how do you do it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec. 03, 2012 08:58 AM

Elite SysAider

SCCM
Elite SysAider

I voted "I don't deal with it at all..." only because we have no way of patching software/OS now.

Our company very much needs this ability, whether it is from SysAid or another application.
We certainly would like to have an all-in-one solution for our IT department.
Elite SysAider

We use Norman Risk and Vulnerability Manager.

Patches for MS and other major software products are tested by them before they make them available to their subscribers.
Patches are then rolled out based on groups as not all patches are relevant for all pcs/servers and some systems may not be patched at all.

The major reason we chose this solution is that they test the patched to make sure no harmful patches are rolled.
SysAider

We use WSUS Server with Secunia CSI (intergrated in the WSUS Server) for non Microsoft applications.
SysAider

We currently use a combination of tools - LogMein and WSUS. We are planning on replacing LogMeIn with SysAid this month so we will be looking for another solution to help us keep our software updated.
SysAider

We were using WSUS but we switched to Solarwinds Patch Manager. It still uses WSUS but it works along side of it and acts the front end. This way we can patch Windows but also Java, Flash, etc.
SysAider

We use Dell KACE, but the back end for the patch management is all Lumension.
SysAid Wiz

We also use "LanDesk" for the provision of other software.
About the desktop manager each user can install the supplied software without rights.
Makes the end user this will not be installed automatically after a preset time
SysAider

I have been using GFI MAX Remote Monitoring Management for about one year now and it seems to work fairly well. I have SysAid Pro installed at my largest client and use SysAid CSS for all my other clients. GFI MAX is used for all remote monitoring and management.
SysAider

We use WSUS for Windows Updates and for everything else (Java, our VPN client, and other in-house software) we use OCS NG. It's open source and basically just gives you the ability to run a scripted installer as the SYSTEM account. Most of the work is on you to write and test your command file or powershell file -- OCS just delivers the package in chunks then executes the command of your choosing. It works great for us!
SysAider

WLDCU wrote:We currently use a combination of tools - LogMein and WSUS. We are planning on replacing LogMeIn with SysAid this month so we will be looking for another solution to help us keep our software updated.

Same here, a feature within SysAid would really help with replacing LogMeIn.
SysAider

We currently use Dell KACE Kbox for our patching and deployment
SysAider

By posting this Voteing poll, does this imply that SysAid is looking into adding Patch management functionality to its all in one SysAid software?

Regards,
Tim Kipp
McClancy Seasoning
SysAid Wiz

Yes Tim,

there will be a software management updates for Windows batch and some other software

best regards
Karlson