.NET Agent

Author

Hello SysAiders,

UPDATE: August 11, 2013 - Thanks to everyone who helped us with the testing in this lab. The new .NET Agent is now incorporated into the SysAid 9.1 release.

UPDATE: 5/19/13 - We have a newer version of the .NET Agent - V 9.0.92. The old attachment (SysAidAgent.exe) was deleted from this post - see below.

We have been working on the next generation of our SysAid Agent and are excited to be able to share it with you in the SysAid Lab.

The Agent has been developed using .NET technology and besides all the features that exists in our current Agent - it also contains a lot of fixes for issues that occurred in the current Agent.

The Agent’s version is v.9.0.92 - and it is ready for testing by all of you!

We tested it on several lab environments and now would like to expand the tests as part of the lab with your help to test it in additional environments.

To test the new version, please follow the instructions below:

Installation:

For the purpose of the tests, the installation process is done on the client side only, not via SysAid standard deployment methods.

1. Download the attached SysAidAgentV.9.0.92.exe.
2. Run the downloaded SysAidAgentV.9.0.92.exe the same way that you previously installed it in older versions using the Installation wizard.
You can also run it from the command line interface. For detailed information and for parameter description, please refer to the “SysAid Agent Deployment Guide” (https://www.sysaid.com/help-page.htm?helpPageId=5738&edition=2).

Note: The SysAidAgentV.9.0.92.exe file will replace any older agent version if it was already installed.

Remarks:
● In case there was an older version already installed, the settings will be kept.
● .NET Agent is installed in C:\Program Files\SysAid and is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, without using the file system redirection to X86.
● The configuration of the new .NET Agent is done by an XML file, which is located under:
C:\Program Files\SysAid\Configuration\AgentConfigurationFile.xml

This replaces the current situation where configuration was done in the Registry.

Recommended Tests:

Please find attached a version of the new SysAid new .NET agent 9.0.92. This new .NET Agent is compatible with the functionality of the current official SysAid Agent.

Main features that are supported:
1. Inventory - the software list is improved and should be compatible to the old version.
If items are not compatible please detail the old and new description (preferably a screenshot of the Inventory changes - in the activity log tab).

2. Monitoring:
- Real-Time Monitoring
- Software update
- Hardware update
- Device update
- Performance Monitoring
- CPU Monitoring
- Network (incoming, Outgoing) Monitoring
- Disk Usage Monitoring
- Memory Monitoring
- Service Monitoring
- Process Monitoring
- Custom Monitoring: Extendable and flexible way to expand system monitoring
abilities
- etc.

3. Remote Control, using Direct Connection and RCG to:
- Locked Session
- Active Session
- Disconnected user
- Unattended machine.

4. My Desktop, using Direct Connection and RCG

5. Chat invitation initiated by the admin to a selected end user

6. Presents Broadcast messages that were sent from the Server

7. SysAid Icon exists, and hot key works as it did in previous version, (Including dual monitor screenshot)

8. Password Services from the Windows login screen

Supported Operating Systems: Both 32-bit and 64-bit:
Windows: 8, 7, 2008 Server, 2003 Server, Vista, XP

Framework requirement:
.NET Framework 2 SP 2 and up.

Lior Calif
SysAid R&D
SysAidAgentV.9.0.92.exe

This message was edited 14 times. Last update was at Aug. 11, 2013 12:35 PM

Elite SysAider

Nice!
We will start testing next week.

A quick question:

The configuration of the new .NET Agent is done by an XML file, which is located under:

Does that mean that we can quickly change agent configuration via GPOs by overwriting the existing file with a newer one?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr. 18, 2013 07:03 AM

SysAid R&D

Hi MichaelZ,

Thanks, I hope there will be improvement using the .NET agent.
We will be glad to hear your comments or question you have regarding the new agent technology we use.

Regarding your question, Technically its possible to change the XML file to modify the SysAid Agent configuration, but we do not encourage it, we recommend to specify your configuration via the methods we support, using SysAid agent parameters. Check the below link for information about Deploying the SysAid Agent.
https://www.sysaid.com/help-page.htm?helpPageId=5738&edition=2

The new installer, will only replace parameters which are specified during installation, any settings which were previously set will remain unless you specify otherwise. For example, if you do not specify RC confirmation parameter in the new installation, the old setting will be preserved.

Currently, since we are testing the .NET Agent we do not have a MSI package available for GPO Deployment, once the new Agent is finalized we will supply a MSI package for this purpose.

Lior Calif
SysAid R&D

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr. 18, 2013 05:44 PM

Elite SysAider

Hi,
I just installed the .net agent on three pieces of equipment - 1 server and 1 workstation (overwriting the exisiting agent) and 1 server (new install).

I'll give you some test results next week
SysAid R&D

Hi MichaelZ,
Great!!!
I appreciate your updates and look forward for any additional information you can send me.
Lior.
Elite SysAider

a first quick update.

Monitoring seems to work fine - all the charts are updated.
Interestingly the server i updated with the .net agent earlier could not communicate with the server - now it does

Broadcasting: when logged in to my pc with the new agent I do not show up as an online user
SysAid VP Customer Relations

MichaelZ,

How long was that client not communicating with the server? Was it a matter of seconds, minutes or hours?
Did you do anything to make it work (service restart, reinstall, etc)?

We would like to get more information about the issue you experienced with the user not showing in the Online Users list. Can you please send me a PM with your email address and we'll communicate offline (want to get log files and I don't want them posted publicly)?

Thanks,
Joseph.
SysAid R&D

MichaelZ,

During the remote session we found that there was a server configuration issue where the SysAid Server was not reflecting its current URL. We updated the serverConf.xml with the correct URL.

After reinstalling the .Net Agent with the updated URL, the Agent succeeded with communicating with the server.

Thank you MichaelZ for your continued testing of the .Net Agent.

With your help we have found another small issue which we have resolved already for the next release.

Thanks,
Lior.
Super SysAider

Dead Sysaid Developers,
what was the reason using .NET in next version ?

It seems to be dependenci injection to our enviroment, i have many clients in production which dont have .NET framework and will be problem to install it and maintain it there.

Are you planning and change in linux agent ?
SysAid VP Product

Hi Mucho,
We do have plans to improve our Linux agent - did you have any specific features you would like to see in our Linux Agent?

The reason for moving to .NET agent is purely technology - our current agent is written in a programming language and code that were just getting out of date, and the time has come to stop fixing bugs and creating patches - we decided to develop our agent (Windows) in a better native Windows language.

The agent contains the same feature set - and a lot of bugs have been fixed - ( a lot of bugs were related to the technology used and were solved by replacing the technology).
Being a more advanced technology - The .NET agent includes better memory management, Security management, error handling and much more.

The minimum requirements for our Agent do require to have a .NET framework installed - this has become a common tools set on work stations in the past decade, I will ask our R&D to post the minimum requirements for the new agent - which aren't that different from our current requirements. (Mainly the requirement for a .NET framework)

All existing features in our current Agent will continue to work with newer server releases - so you don't have to upgrade the Agent on machines where you don't have the minimum requirements.

Super SysAider

Thank You for Reply,
Regarding .NET agent, thank you for clarifiing reasons, if there was not other option .NET version will be better than nothing. But there will be dependency in domain deployment.

Regarding Linux agent, i dont see option to monitor linux server prefomance and avalibility other than SNMP, monitoring seems to be not possible there using agent, so script only sends data to server, services on server cannot be monitored as in windows.
I hope that new version of sysaid agent will be more usable.

Oded M wrote:Hi Mucho,
We do have plans to improve our Linux agent - did you have any specific features you would like to see in our Linux Agent?

The reason for moving to .NET agent is purely technology - our current agent is written in a programming language and code that were just getting out of date, and the time has come to stop fixing bugs and creating patches - we decided to develop our agent (Windows) in a better native Windows language.

The agent contains the same feature set - and a lot of bugs have been fixed - ( a lot of bugs were related to the technology used and were solved by replacing the technology).
Being a more advanced technology - The .NET agent includes better memory management, Security management, error handling and much more.

The minimum requirements for our Agent do require to have a .NET framework installed - this has become a common tools set on work stations in the past decade, I will ask our R&D to post the minimum requirements for the new agent - which aren't that different from our current requirements. (Mainly the requirement for a .NET framework)

All existing features in our current Agent will continue to work with newer server releases - so you don't have to upgrade the Agent on machines where you don't have the minimum requirements.

SysAid Wiz

I noticed the users field is not populating on the asset in which I install the .NET agent..
SysAid VP Customer Relations

5.7FSN wrote:I noticed the users field is not populating on the asset in which I install the .NET agent..

Hi 5.7FSN,
Can you check in Online Users (under Asset Management) to see if the user on that computer is showing as online?
If so, please also check if the user also exists in User Management (and also if it listed the same, including the same case).

Thanks,
Joseph.
SysAid Wiz

Yeah they show up online users...

I noticed mine and another laptop do show the users that have logged into the pc, but another desktop doesn't. Shows me under login history though.
Elite SysAider

I found the Sysaid Labs! The .NET Agent is isntalled. I will post updates as I try it out.