The 'select a CI' form (CMDb)

Author

Dear fellow SysAiders,

I am currently working on the SysAid CMDb module.
So far it is going quite well, I do however have two questions.

- Is there any way to modify the 'select a CI' form?
This is the form that shows up whenever I want to link an existing CI to a new Service Record.
What I would like for it to do, is filter on company level.

When I create a new SR, then select a Company, then select "change main CI" it does not show me the CIs for that specific company.
I get a few columns (type, status, owner, location, category and subcategory) but I would like to see the company CIs, rather than all CIs in the CMDb to choose from.

The only way I have found out to filter this, is by Category, sub category and 3rd level category.
This does not make sense to me. I want to see what CIs a specific company currently owns.

My second question is somewhat related, but a more general one.

- Does anyone use categories for their CIs?
I am not talking about CI types and sub types, but categories.

I am currently struggling with setting the 'scope' for my CIs and I was thinking that maybe setting categories for CIs might offer a solution.
However, it is very difficult for me to bind a category to a CI, because various CIs serve multiple categories. I've seen quite a few examples of people using the categories for Service Desk purposes, mostly relating to the issued problem. For instance, category: Software, Sub category: Application A, third level category: Module 5. It goes without saying that such a categorization is useless for configuration items.

I hope someone can share some experience or give some hints in general.

Cheers in advance!
SysAider

I am having this same issue. Did you ever find the solution?

Thanks
SysAider

SEORMC wrote:I am having this same issue. Did you ever find the solution?

Thanks

No I didn't. I've issued this as a feature request with SysAid support but haven't heard from them since.
I still find it a huge miss, when I register a call for a certain customer it would only make sense to show me the associated assets. Oh well.
SysAider

I am having this same issue.
SysAider

I had the same needs:

The list of CI's is the SelectCIs View showed in Assets > CI list.
You can insert the Company field and set a filter on that column.

It can help you BUT there's no way (I can't find it...) to open the list with the filter on company active, based on the company of the SR

You can use a custom field: this is possible but really complicate (for me);
this field need to be sinconyzed with the main CI field so you can take advantage of the Main CI functionality... It is possible but hard to do.

SysAid Wiz

WouterNL wrote:Dear fellow SysAiders,

I am currently working on the SysAid CMDb module.
So far it is going quite well, I do however have two questions.

- Is there any way to modify the 'select a CI' form?
This is the form that shows up whenever I want to link an existing CI to a new Service Record.
What I would like for it to do, is filter on company level.

When I create a new SR, then select a Company, then select "change main CI" it does not show me the CIs for that specific company.
I get a few columns (type, status, owner, location, category and subcategory) but I would like to see the company CIs, rather than all CIs in the CMDb to choose from.

The only way I have found out to filter this, is by Category, sub category and 3rd level category.
This does not make sense to me. I want to see what CIs a specific company currently owns.

Hi,

Selection of Ci's on a company basis make sense for MSP! For a company uses all the base category Ci's makes more sense.

I think an Optional switch in the settings does everything well here and should be covered by Oded M

cheers

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb. 19, 2015 08:33 AM