Strange Excel Formatting and Reporting

Author

Hi

When I save a report to Excel it contains loads of spurious spacing, extra lines, cell merges etc

Making it no better than a PDF to manipulate data! Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is there a fix for this coming? If not a save as csv would be far more useful.

I don't have this problem when at the list of incidents, use advance filters and click the Export to csv (excel) feature. That gives me a nice, clean spreadsheet. Due to this, I find that most of my incident reporting is done through this method, which means that I can't schedule it to be generated at certain times.

Elite SysAider

We have always had the same issue with the reports exported to excel, they are worthless to us in the same manner.
When we use excel, we just create a report of the fields we need without any filters or groupings. This creates a simple csv type file, then we sort and group using excel functions.
It is a pain in the butt, but at least you don't have to un-format their exported excel and do double the work.
SysAid Customer Success Manager

Hi both,

Is this in a specific report or when saving any report to Excel?
Is it specific filed types or all fields?

I will check it and will submit it as a BUG

Ido Shomer
SysAid
SysAider

Hi

It's any.

I'm on Office 2013, if that helps at all. I'm happy to send screen shots or examples through.
SysAid Customer Success Manager

Hi TanyaDa,

Please do

Ido
SysAid
Super SysAider

Yes this happens to me on every Excel based report also. I run numerous reports frequently, and then collate them into a bigger report.... the easiest way is for me to:

run the report from Sysaid
copy & paste to notepad to drop the merge cells
paste back to Excel
delete empty rows and columns
copy back to notepad
copy / paste back to my master document

every time. every report.
Elite SysAider

Sorry, did not see this was getting replies.

But like Nick and Tanya said, it is any and all reports that have a filter or grouping.

For example, attached is a default report - Inventory - Asset Changes by Date. When you select excel, you get an "okay" looking report, but you cannot do anything with it, and sometimes as shown, cannot read columns (see Change Description column).

Lets say good, i got the report but I want to sort that report by the first product, Adobe Flash Added. You cannot sort, filter or rearrange the data without 30+ minutes of work.

So we Undo it all, or create a report with the fields we need, no grouping or sorting and do it ourselves.
SysAider

Have the same issue, was there ever any fix for this?
SysAid Product Manager Community Manager

Hey guys,

At the moment you can re-design the reports to your liking using iReport. You can learn more about using iReport with SysAid in this webinar.

FYI: The reporting module is currently going through an overhaul and these options *may* be available natively, but there is currently no information about this. More information will be available in the future.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAid Product Manager Community Manager

Hey guys,

I have just received information that the Excel formatting will indeed be fixed in the next version of SysAid (15.4).
We invite you to join our Pathfinder Program to test the beta for yourself and make sure it behaves the way you expect it to, and provide feedback into any improvements you would like to see

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

Glad to know it will be addressed. It does work fine on Office 2010 together with Win7 though. 2013, no luck. Win10, also same.