Default device type classifications from SNMP

• 13 November 2015
  • 13 replies

I have a brand of wireless access points that are being tagged as a 'Printer' type device upon initial discovery. I update the device to 'WAP' enter a serial number, etc.

Once SNMP scans again the device is recreated as a 'Printer' type device and I'm left with duplicate entries.

Where can I change how Sysaid determines device types from SNMP scans?

13 replies

Hi Joseph,

You can configure the SNMP OIDs settings in Settings > Asset Management > SNMP OIDs Settings, to map the OID of the device to the desired field.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Danny
Thanks Danny,

But thats not the issue i've detailed

Danny Tashiev
Hi Joseph,

You can configure the SNMP OIDs settings in Settings > Asset Management > SNMP OIDs Settings, to map the OID of the device to the desired field.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Danny
Exactly what I stated. Sysaid continually scans my subnets, identifies one of my WAPs as being new inventory and adds it. This happens each and every scan. I can potentially have dozens of duplicate devices.

I know HOW I CAN change the device type.

SNMP OIDs are a table of contents of where to find certain information from the device. It has nothing to do with device types.

Can you re-read my initial post? It outlines the scenario I'm encountering... Not just the sentence with a question mark.
Hi Joseph,

My bad, understood now :)

I understand this issue is already under investigation by our customer support team in the ticket you have opened, so I suggest proceeding with the remote session described.

Please let us know in this thread how it was resolved (if you want), so other users will have the chance to fix it by the same method as well, if applicable.

Thanks,
Danny
Hello All,

Is there any updated information on that issue? I have the same problem with VoIP phones being discovered as printers. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the device type for all devices at once, but instead you need to go in every device one by one.

Thanks,

George
Hi George,

Can you please send the following files to our support helpdesk?

...\SysAidServer\root\WEB-INF\logs (entire folder)
...\SysAidServer\root\WEB-INF\conf\serverconf.xml
...\SysAidServer\root\WEB-INF\conf\sysaid.ver
...\SysAidServer\tomcat\conf\server.xml
...\SysAidServer\conf\wrapper.conf
...\SysAidServer\logs\wrapper.log
...\SysAidServer\root\WEB-INF\log4j.properties
...\SysAidServer\root\WEB-INF\conf\tomcatCP

If you have the VOIP phone MIB file, send that as well. Our customer support team will investigate the issue.

Please let the community know when a resolution is reached.

Thank you,
Danny
Did anyone get a solution to this. I have Switches that are being tagged as printers in the Type field. How can I fix this. Do not want to have to keep changing these and deleting the duplicate entries.
Hi jspence,

I understand you have worked on this with our customer support team. Did the issue get resolved in the end?

Cheers,
Danny
Is there documentation on the fix for this? I have the same issue. All my HP and Cisco switches are classified as Printers. I'd rather not change each one individually or have them reset to Printers after the next scan.
No the support team was not able to provide me with any assistance on this issue. It is how they do it by default. Below is the answer I received to my question...

When bringing in assets using SNMP our switches are getting asset type of printer.

"Hi Julie,

This is actually by design.
Let me explain :

Currently when the scan is performed it searches for TYPE INFORMATION for particular OID and expects to get a value.
OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.7.0 to get a type

Based on that value , the Type is set according to the below list :
Type: 0 - DHCP Server
Type: 1 - Router
Type: 2 - Switch

If the type is not either of these numbers then we check
OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.43.5.1.1.1.1 if we get ANY value back we call it a Printer, if we do not get any value then we default to DHCP Server

There is a feature request that re-designs and improves the whole smnp scan procedure.
From what I heard, this will be sometime in version 17"

It has not been changed in version 17. Trying to modify the OID's also did not help. The issue is still ongoing for us.
Any fix on this since the last post nearly a year ago?

I, too, would rather not manually change all of my switches from their discovered value of printer.

Thanks!
I'm having the same issue with my HP switches.
Every single one is coming up as a Printer.
So the bigger problem comes that any SNMP custom values I put in for my switches also apply to Printers.
So far I have scanned the network separately for Printers, to get all of this info, then scanned for Switches to get all of the info for the Switch.
That worked for a single scan, and I guess as long as it doesn't overwrite the current Manufacturer and Serial number that's fine.
This is something that definitely needs some work...
Any other update on this? I also do not want to manually update over 100 switches 🙂