Solved

Add emails to SR that do not have default ID prefix

• 30 December 2022
  • 6 replies

We often create tickets for a third-party company, that always strips down subject from our emails to a format such as this

• “Your response has been received for Ticket T1234567”
  • “Ticket: T1234567 has been updated.”
  • “Ticket: T1234567 Set to Work in Progress”

Since it does not match our default SR Prefix “Regarding Service Record #1,234”, a new ticket is created for every email they send to us. We would prefer if those emails were kept in the same service record, without having to manually merge them.

It does require a non-trivial workflow, that I am not sure if possible with current SysAid functionality without having to change our own idPrefix: 

1. Parse the subject and if it comes from sender it@example.com , extract their ticket number /A[0-9]{7}/ or /Ticket[:]{0,1} (A[0-9]{7})/
  2. Find another SR that includes that ticket number in the subject
  3. Merge or add received email to that SR.
icon

Best answer by Maayan Karstaedt 18 January 2023, 10:30

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Alvn!

I just want to confirm the ticket ID matches between the third party company and yours? The only difference is the “T” prefix? If this is the case, I am afraid there is no avoiding changing your prefix. 

It can be easily done through our Translation File search for all items with “#” and change them to the prefix of your choice. 

Let us know if this helped,

@Maayan Karstaedt No, the ticket IDs do not match at all. It was just one example, as we have multiple companies that are stripping down the subject field to track tickets in their own ticketing system. Here is another one we received last week “Your request has been logged with ID ##1234567##”

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Alvn ok so need more clarifications, where is the third party id in your ticket? what will it help if you strip the third party ticket id from the text next to it?  

Let me know, 

@Maayan Karstaedt Third-party company replies with an email that has subject “Your request has been logged with ID ##1234567##” where 1234567 is their ticket number.

Or, another third-party company replies with “Ticket: T1234567 has been updated.” where T1234567 is their own ticket number.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Alvn , 

Consulted with our product experts and found a possible solution for you.  This applies only to email that are a reply to an exiting ticket in your Helpdesk. 

Every email in the world has a unique message id.  If you reply to an email, your reply has its own message id, but the header includes the message id of the email you are replying to.  If you reply to an email, and SysAid sees that this 'reply message id' is the same as an email that was received by SysAid in the past and is connected to a ticket, your reply will be imported into that ticket even though it didn't include # + SR number.

If this is what you are looking for, please reach out to our Customer Care team via live chat or open a ticket on our Customer Portal  and ask them to enable the feature for you. 

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you @Maayan Karstaedt. I’ll bring it up to our administrator in case we want to pursue this solution.

More details about the suggested fix. According to https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2822#section-3.6.4 when you reply to an email, "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" fields retain the original email "Message-ID:" and I’ve verified this behavior with my Outlook client.