Can I use data from a custom field in an email notification?

Hello,

We have completed a New hire request form. We have a custom field that contains the employees name. I would like to use that field as part of the notification to the admin to have the subject line read "New Hire Request for EmployeeName.

Do I just use the custom field name (sr_cust_empname)?

- Chris

18 replies

Hi Chris,

If we're talking about a non-list custom field, please use
${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CUSTOM FIELD NAME"}
The field name can be found in Advanced tab of the field's form, in the Display in Form box. Search for def. The field name will look something like "CustomColumn20srSubTab"

If it's a custom list field, please use
$AccountObj.getCustValues("DATABASE FIELD NAME",$resource).getCaption($sr.getAddonFieldValue("CUSTOM FIELD NAME"))

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Danny
To elaborate on this, since it's not intuitive. You need to use the internal DB name with the sr.getAddonFieldValue function, which is not the same as the cust DB name.

To find the internal DB name(not sure if there is better method, not that I could see), navigate to Customize -> Fields Customization/Entities -> Service Record click on the field you have created. Click on the Advanced tab. Look for the line that start with "def CustomColumn##sr". This will be your internal DB name.

So let's say I create a Field titled MyField, and the cust DB name will be sr_cust_myfield, but on Advanced, for example, would have def CustomColumn24sr line.

Now I can use ${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn24sr")} in an escalation rule to do something useful.
Ahh, much better description. Thank you. I have not attempted this yet, however I would most certainly have used the from field name from the DB.
So I am trying to figure this out. I have a custom list that our end user has to choose a value from when selecting their ticket. If I am reading the instructions correctly, because I am using a Custom List and not a Custom Text Column, I need to enter my string like so:

$AccountObj.getCustValues('sr_cust_sbm_proj_code',$resource).getCaption($CurrentActionItem.getAddonFieldValue('CustomColumn5sr'))

However this returns no value. If I enter ${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn5sr")} I get a return value of $70.

The actual value in the field is APPL00AUSTI that I am hoping to have it return. What is it I am doing wrong?

Do some of the ) in the first statement need to be } instead?
Ok, I figured that out. In Help they use ' in the syntax sample instead of "

However, when it returns the results of my list, it returns the ID and not the Caption. How can I get it to display the caption or list value instead of the ID?
Hi Chris,

Please try this instead and let me know if this works:
$AccountObj.getCustValues("sr_cust_sbm_proj_code",$AccountObj.getResourceBundle()).getCaption($sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn5sr"))

Cheers,
Danny
That did the trick Danny. Thank you!
Where is the HTML to modify? I'd like to change the notification email subject such that the 'subject' of the incident is inserted and precedes the "Incident #XX" text.

For example, if someone sends an email to helpdesk OR via the EUP with the subject "Locked Out", and this happens to be incident number 1234, I'd like the email notification sent out (and all subsequent notifications of any kind for this ticket) to be "Locked Out - Incident #1234".

Possible?
Are you using the Sysaid Free? To me it sounds like an option that is not available under your current licensing. I could be wrong.
No, we are using SysAid Full, Version/Build: v16.3.20 b7. License paid in full and up to date.
Are you hosted? If so that might be the difference. We are on premise.
We are on the cloud. I'm hoping that's really not it though. We really need this info.
Hey ExperisIT,

As described in the message, please contact care@sysaid.com 🙂 This message is only on SysAid Cloud as a security measure.

@c71clark: You can this by simply adding the ${Title} tag before the ${ActionNotification} tag under Settings > Customize > Notifications > Email subject to administrator/end-user...
Just make sure to keep it all in one line, otherwise the subject will get broken.

Cheers,
Danny
Thanks. Is it possible to add new Notifications? I saw elsewhere that you suggest using Escalation, but I wanted to make sure. It seems weird to use an 'escalation' for a simple notification like having different SR closure messages for different people/groups.
This indeed can only be achieved by escalation rules at this point. You can submit this as a feature request in our Feature Requests forum if you prefer.

Cheers,
Danny
We have successfully followed your instructions for adding a Custom List Field to an Escalation Rule Notification but nothing happens when we try to do the same for a Custom Text Field.

The Custom List Field code is:
</tr> <tr> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">Create New DCS ID</td> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">$AccountObj.getCustValues("sr_cust_new_dcs_id",$AccountObj.getResourceBundle()).getCaption($sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn88sr"))</td>

The Custom Text Field code is:
</tr> <tr> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">DCS Branch</td> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn37sr"}</td>
Userlevel 2
Badge
c71clark
Thanks. Is it possible to add new Notifications? I saw elsewhere that you suggest using Escalation, but I wanted to make sure. It seems weird to use an 'escalation' for a simple notification like having different SR closure messages for different people/groups.

You can have different closure messages (and different style format) based on Closure Information and/or end users' attributes in IF conditions, for instance:

#if(${sr.getClosureInformation()}==1) This is the closure message for you #end
#if (${ReqUser.getCustInt1()}==0) This is the closure message for you #end

You can use custom fields too: https://community.sysaid.com/Sysforums/helpData.page?helpId=14823
Userlevel 2
Badge
IkeS
We have successfully followed your instructions for adding a Custom List Field to an Escalation Rule Notification but nothing happens when we try to do the same for a Custom Text Field.

The Custom List Field code is:
</tr> <tr> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">Create New DCS ID</td> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">$AccountObj.getCustValues("sr_cust_new_dcs_id",$AccountObj.getResourceBundle()).getCaption($sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn88sr"))</td>

The Custom Text Field code is:
</tr> <tr> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">DCS Branch</td> <td style="border: 1px solid #dddddd; text-align: left; padding: 8px;">${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn37sr"}</td>

Tags include some mistakes - missing brackets:

${sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn37sr")}

${AccountObj.getCustValues("sr_cust_new_dcs_id",$AccountObj.getResourceBundle()).getCaption($sr.getAddonFieldValue("CustomColumn88sr"))}