Question

Changing Who Gets Emails for a Service Record Update and Custom Fields Location

• 12 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi, I’ve been trying to set who receives emails when a service record is new or completed for a few weeks and I can’t find the setting related to it anywhere. No template seems to have it and no one at the company I’m trying to change this for knows either. I’ve tried setting up emails via Escalation Rules but then it doesn’t log those emails in SR updates, and editing the templates doesn’t allow me to change anything I’d need related to who gets emails when the status changes to new or completed. The Workflow Designer doesn’t seem to give any useful information either.

Additionally, where are custom fields stored so I can edit their names?

9 replies

Badge

Hihi,

You can find the settings for all outgoing notifications under Settings » Service Desk » General. You can expand the various scenarios (Assigned Admin, Assigned Group, Responsible Admin, User) with the +. 

1. All statuses listed in the “Status changes to” list will trigger a notification if this option is enabled.
  2. If “Assign to changes” is enabled, a notification will be triggered when the assigned admin is updated.
  3. If “Notes are added” is enabled, a notification will be triggered when notes are added.
  4. “Other changes are made” cover every other field that you can change in the SR IIRC. 

By default, every member of the assigned Admin Group and the assigned Admin will receive a notification. You can manage your groups by going to Tools » Groups. Different groups can then be assigned to different SR templates under Settings » Service Desk Templates. You can also select none as assigned group so only the assigned admin and end user receives a notification for example.

I’ve honestly never used the “responsible Administrator” option and I don’t know who the responsible admin is.

1. Custom fields. Are you talking about fields created in Settings » Customize » Fields Customization or the pre-defined ‘SR Custom Field 1” fields? I’ve never used the pre-defined fields but they are not mentioned in the database guide at all so I don’t think you can change the names. I’d def ask the SysAid helpdesk team about this tho.

Cheers,

Max

Badge

Hihi,

You can find the settings for all outgoing notifications under Settings » Service Desk » General. You can expand the various scenarios (Assigned Admin, Assigned Group, Responsible Admin, User) with the +. 

1. All statuses listed in the “Status changes to” list will trigger a notification if this option is enabled.
  2. If “Assign to changes” is enabled, a notification will be triggered when the assigned admin is updated.
  3. If “Notes are added” is enabled, a notification will be triggered when notes are added.
  4. “Other changes are made” cover every other field that you can change in the SR IIRC. 

By default, every member of the assigned Admin Group and the assigned Admin will receive a notification. You can manage your groups by going to Tools » Groups. Different groups can then be assigned to different SR templates under Settings » Service Desk Templates. You can also select none as assigned group so only the assigned admin and end user receives a notification for example.

I’ve honestly never used the “responsible Administrator” option and I don’t know who the responsible admin is.

1. Custom fields. Are you talking about fields created in Settings » Customize » Fields Customization or the pre-defined ‘SR Custom Field 1” fields? I’ve never used the pre-defined fields but they are not mentioned in the database guide at all so I don’t think you can change the names. I’d def ask the SysAid helpdesk team about this tho.

Cheers,

Max

Hi Max, thanks a bunch. As per the custom fields, I found what I was looking for. Do you know if there’s a way to do this per-sub type? I should also note that different groups of people need to be notified depending on the status for different sub-types.

Badge

Not per sub type but per incident/request/change/problem template. Sub types are only the basis for your templates and you can have multiple templates that use the same sub type (but have different admin groups). You can set a different admin group for each template. 

There is an option in the sub type design form to set a default value. This option doesn’t work for the admin group as it will be overwritten by the template used.

Badge

Not per sub type but per incident/request/change/problem template. Sub types are only the basis for your templates and you can have multiple templates that use the same sub type (but have different admin groups). You can set a different admin group for each template. 

There is an option in the sub type design form to set a default value. This option doesn’t work for the admin group as it will be overwritten by the template used.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds a bit more like what I need- doing it per-Request Template. Where would I go to do this per-Request Template?

Badge

Where would I go to do this per-Request Template?

You can find your templates in Settings » Service Desk Templates. I believe that you can only create request templates if you have the ITSM license (used to be called Full license). The help desk (basic) license only supports different incident templates IIRC.

If you have the required license, just open a template, set the Admin Group and save it. 

Looks like that for me:

Badge

Where would I go to do this per-Request Template?

You can find your templates in Settings » Service Desk Templates. I believe that you can only create request templates if you have the ITSM license (used to be called Full license). The help desk (basic) license only supports different incident templates IIRC.

If you have the required license, just open a template, set the Admin Group and save it. 

Looks like that for me:

The company I’m doing work for has the required license. Thank you very much. Is there also a way to do that when the ticket closes? I don’t see anywhere near as many options for the “close” tab in the request template.

Badge

Is there also a way to do that when the ticket closes? 

What do you mean exactly? Or easier asked, what would you like to happen when a ticket gets closed?

If you want a completely different email when the status is set to Closed, you’ll need to use IF statements in your notification message. You can edit them by going to Settings » Customize » Notifications and by choosing “Email to end user regarding a service record”.

For example, this is how my notification is set up:

<html>
<head>
Metadata
</head>

<body>
Static items (f.ex. a banner that is the same for every mail)

#if(${IsNewSr}==true) -> Following text will only be used when a ticket is new (first notification sent)

Confirmation that we receveived your ticket

#else #if(${isClosedSR}==true && ${LinkToSurvey} && ${LinkToSurvey}!="" ) -> Following text will only be used when the ticket has a status with the class Closed.

Solution and survey link

#else
This text will be used for all other notifications (in our case that would be when the status changes, the assigned admin changes or when notes are added)

</body>
</html>

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,

Max

Userlevel 5
Badge

looks like you got this @mhaag! Thanks for sharing your SysAid powers with others!

@nnemeth regarding customization for closed ticket notifications you can check out our guide as well:

"If" Statements in Your Notifications

Let us know how it goes!

Badge

Is there also a way to do that when the ticket closes? 

What do you mean exactly? Or easier asked, what would you like to happen when a ticket gets closed?

If you want a completely different email when the status is set to Closed, you’ll need to use IF statements in your notification message. You can edit them by going to Settings » Customize » Notifications and by choosing “Email to end user regarding a service record”.

For example, this is how my notification is set up:

<html>
<head>
Metadata
</head>

<body>
Static items (f.ex. a banner that is the same for every mail)

#if(${IsNewSr}==true) -> Following text will only be used when a ticket is new (first notification sent)

Confirmation that we receveived your ticket

#else #if(${isClosedSR}==true && ${LinkToSurvey} && ${LinkToSurvey}!="" ) -> Following text will only be used when the ticket has a status with the class Closed.

Solution and survey link

#else
This text will be used for all other notifications (in our case that would be when the status changes, the assigned admin changes or when notes are added)

</body>
</html>

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,

Max

Thanks! I was hoping there would be a way to do that programmatically as such. I’m a developer so that’s a familiar way for me to do that.