Closing a support request via email integration

• 27 January 2010
  • 13 replies

Hello,

Is it possible to close a support request via email?

What we are thinking of is, the user/admin would just send message to the support email address (which has been integrated) and add a detectable word somewhere
in the subject line or in the email body that tells SysAid to close the support request.

Ex. 'Closed' in the subject line

Regarding Service Request #2,221 Multi-year Receipts - Closed

...then the we want SysAid to close #2,221 based on the latest email which has the word 'Closed' in the subject line.

Thank you

13 replies

Badge
Great...:-)
Userlevel 2
Not too crazy bout the idea...

User who mail in to report problem "Can't closed excel after second cup of coffee" will be dismissed instead of being supported.

Ya don't wanna mess with people after their second cup of coffee...

*smile*
Obelix
Not too crazy bout the idea...

User who mail in to report problem "Can't closed excel after second cup of coffee" will be dismissed instead of being supported.

Ya don't wanna mess with people after their second cup of coffee...

*smile*

This scenario can easily be intercepted - Like if there's a rule that will of course not CLOSE an SR that has no SR# in the subject line.

So any new mail that comes in with the word CLOSED in the subject line, it will still a open new SR. But if the word CLOSED is in the subject line, and coupled with the SR number, then that might just work. :)

My two cents...
Userlevel 2
Precisely the point - complexity goes up.
My users already got problem replying with the sysaid subject intact, and am pretty sure they won't bother to close the sr once their problems are solved now they need to remember a "magic" words in pair ?

The way I see it...
Closing an sr is the admins' responsibility WITH the user's approval of course; unless the user is ignorant which have to be proved by multiple sr closing reminder messages. It's how I measure their performance. It's what mtbr in the chart means...

If you go ahead with this my guess is many moons later you're gonna find your mtbr growing like stds in red district area and will be forced to spend time to chase down those users to confirm an sr close anyway.

*sigh*
I don't know.
Maybe am such a negative bastard...
It's my fourth cup of cofee.
*junkies' grin*
Badge
Hello SunPlus Team,

I totally agree, if the end user will send you another email after you closed the SR, it will be closed automatically and you will not see the answer because it will go directly to the closed list instead of the active list.
Another ex. if the end user says: I can't close my....

You can always use " Allow end user to close service request; and then change its status to: closed" in Preferences > End User Portal permissions.

Best regards,
Itay
Badge
With you on this one Obelix.!!!!!!
I'd just like to add my two cents here:

I'd be interested in this because we have an external monitoring system that emails when an event is detected. If this email were forwarded into Sysaid, we' be able to track easily that this was looking into and closed off.

The auto closing would be good in cases where something like a DSL problem occurs that fixes itself, ie monitoring detects router as down, emails sysaid and creates ticket. Once Monitoring detects router back up, emails Sysaid to Close SR.

We'd find that functionality very useful.
Userlevel 2
@Sthomas...

that would be useful to you only if you regularly (I would guess the soonest cycle would be weekly) run the report or chart that shows sr on the dsl.

Question.
What if the the dsl problem which solve itself are symptoms of a permanent problem that strike before you got a chance to run the next report ?
Wouldn't it be tragic to have notification system in place but getting none of the warnings you need ?

I know there are problems that is ignoreable (mine is the bloody printing event on citrix server) but I would still have it just in case.

There are many things that cause the dsl to shut down but the end result might be the same, it resolves itself. But just like my citrix printing monster.. if it's not the usual event id.. it usually would lead to either spooling tantrum or dying service both are big no no to the crybabies on each nodes.
On certain cases even if it is the same problem but a much intensify frequency could mean a much bigger problem. Think of login failures.

Notification to admins often mean the difference of being a god...
or being the spit ashtray.

Many admins solve this by going thru things daily... but if you can have it online... why wait to the end of the day ? Especially now with the capability of changing the status of multiple SR ?

Nevertheless... it's your call.
The idea is not bad... but you need to understand it is NOT without consequences.
Badge
GO Obelix GO!!!

# Smile #
Userlevel 2
Hmmm...
*gazin with one eyebrow lifted @ The number One*
Been awhile since I last saw men in cheerleader's outfit.
*violating smile*
Badge
# LOL wicked smile #

What colour would you like the pompoms??
Userlevel 2
Who cares for pompoms when you guys got that thing under each armpit...
*cringed*
I would like to add to this, the possiblity to use ##Close@@ in the subject line could be used to help mitigate issues such as "word doesnt work it seems to close automatically"