Archiving - How Does It Work?

Does the archiving of tickets help with database performance and search times?

What happens with an archived ticket? Where do they go?

Is there help for archiving, I could not find any.

Is there any special setup required?

Lots of questions, I thought I would go ahead and just get them all out there?

10 replies

Hey Chris,

afaik, archiving a ticket just sets the 'Archived' value to true.

When a ticket is archived, the following happens:

1. The enduser can't reopen the ticket anymore and can't add anymore notes. They can still download attachments and view the title, description, solution, etc.

2. Admins can't see the ticket anymore while being in the "DEFAULT" view in the incident or request list. If you click on the arrow next to View you'll find the pre-defined view "Archived".

3. Admins can't interact with the fields in the ticket anymore. They can't modify the ticket anymore, basically. They can still view everything and download attachments. Archived tickets can still be deleted completely (if enabled in your admin settings).

4. Afaik, it doesn't improve performance. Just moves these tickets to a different view and makes them read only.

To activate archiving, you'll have to create a new escalation rule that affects all tickets.
- Select the "Escalate when more than XX hours and XX mintues have passed since Close time" and customize the values in the hours and minutes fields.
- Disable all notifcations (at least I'd recommend that).
- The escalation level must be your highest level out of all your rules.
- In the action builder at the bottom, create a new statement with "Archive = Yes".

Done, I've set mine to 21 days.

Cheers!
Max
Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Are you aware if it locks the information in the records in a way that, for example, if I had to adjust a custom list in the future and remove an option. If that option was used in an archived SR would it remove that information from the record?
For anyone else wondering, no, archiving does not set in stone values and still relies on the lists to keep the value.
Badge
Looking at archiving all closed IT Tickets that were assigned to a couple of our IT SysAid Administrators. Managed to get the Escalation Rule to work and only 2 tables are affected; dbo_service_req and dbo_service_req_history.
All it does is set the Archive field in the table(s) to '1'. The Archived tickets can be viewed via the Archive view dropdown. And it locks some of the fields where no changes can be made.

My question relates to the fact that a licence is consumed for each of those administrators.
Once their closed IT tickets are archived,
1. Can I convert them back as End Users and thus not take up a SysAid Administrator licence?
2. Will their Archived Closed IT tickets maintained their name as Process Manager/Assigned To in the database for audit trail and reporting?
3. After you have archived the closed IT tickets, can I use the Escalation Rule to "unarchived" those tickets by setting the Action Builder to Archive='0' or No ie reverse engineering after it has been archived.

Thanks.
Badge

not sure if this will get answered here, or if i need to create a new thread

We’ve just moved from on-prem to the cloud and have discovered a whole bunch of incidents have been auto-archived. 

I can’t find any settings to control the auto-archiving, we don’t have an escalation rule setup to do it.  

is this user adjustable in the cloud version of sysaid?

or is it just “always on”? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @brendan2 ,

You ask and you shall be answered, I here by swear :)

By design, if a closed ticket hasn’t been touched or modified for a year, it is auto-archived. The purpose of this feature is to improve the system’s performance since the less tickets it has to search for, the quicker they are uploaded. If you need to continue working on an archived ticket, you can reopen and unarchive it. Then, make sure to change the status to an “active” status.
Read more about it here.

Cheers,

Thanks Max

That worked like a charm, except…

It is auto-archiving any ticket that is closed, as soon as it closes. The only difference between my settings and yours is that I changed the time for 2 weeks (336 Hours). What am I doing wrong? I have disabled the rule for now. 

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Marcelo

Badge

Just moved to the latest on-premise version and experiencing the same issue as Marcelo.  We had it enabled to archive after 180 days, however it was archiving immediately after the ticket is closed.

For now it’s disabled.

Any pointers on how to resolve?

Are endusers able to view archived SR’s?  Can they view SR’s submitted by other endusers?  Where do I find those settings?

Hi @Christine 

You can configure SSP to allow end users to see also the archived tickets.

As per giving permission to view SRs submitted by other end users, you can set a user as a Supervisor, which will allow that end user to see tickets submitted by users from same company or department, as the Supervisor.

Please check the link below how to set a user as a Company/Department supervisor:

https://documentation.sysaid.com/docs/en/edit-end-user?highlight=Is%20supervisor