Financial reward (e.g. bonus, salary increase) 5% [ 3 ]
Personal Development/Satisfaction 40% [ 23 ]
Praise & Recognition (e.g. promotion, awards) 9% [ 5 ]
Challenge 36% [ 21 ]
Responsibility 10% [ 6 ]
Total Votes: 58

Author
SysAid Marketing

What keeps us going the extra mile at work? Some say that financial incentive is not enough, but is that really true? Perhaps it's more the lure of the limelight and professional recognition that gets you going. Or maybe you find yourself spurred on by challenges or a sense of responsibility. It could be something else entirely. What, in your opinion, works best? Does your organization have it right? Share your experiences...
Super SysAider

Speaking for myself, as long as the pay/benefits are within reason, the primary "driver" is how I can apply what I know, or know I can learn, to do things better or to do things that were thought not to be achievable.
SysAid Wiz

Firstly, brilliant question for a poll, well done Sue!

Secondly, I love what I do. That is what motivates me. I genuinly appreciate the fact I have a job i never dislike, and i am always happy to get out of bed for in the morning. I generally work 10/11 hour days but don't expect praise or financial gain because I don't have to do it, i spend the extra time because I love what I am doing.

I strive to learn more every day. I will never know everything but I can always learn more and that is a great challenge. To succeed in this industry you need to always improve, along with the technology around you because there are always people around you to replace you.

But also, I love the fact that in IT, as in these forums, there are always people around willing to help and teach you when you hit a stumbling block.

It's a great life really isnt it, you get to play around with computers all day every day! =D

M
When the going gets tough, the tough get SysAid
SysAid CEO

Hello every one!

I also really love me job! I love fixing things that are broken.
Computers can be tricky and every day there is something new.
But the best thing at my job is you guys I get to talk to you all, I support different people in different countries and my users are not the average user I get to support people that understand what I am talking about
You all agree that this is a huge benefit.

So I hope you all love talking to us as much as we love to help you!

Sarah
SysAid Wiz

Sarah,

You all make having a problem an enjoyable experience! :-p
Lev
SysAid Mod

BJINS wrote:Sarah,

Thats a killer
SysAider

I have a client who I do quite a lot of work for but sometimes they are annoying because of this.
They don't seem to care if the applications, modules and plugins work to a standard format as long as they get from A to B.
I try to implement as much standardization as I can in my projects, whether it be proper documentation, XHTML strict compliance, a correct MVC framework...etc etc.
My client on the oher hand wants everything yesterday because yesterday it could have earned them money.

It's difficult sometimes, but I do get to work from home
I also love my job and would never change for anything else.

Great poll!
SysAid Wiz

Lev wrote:

Thats a killer

It's not a complete lie! And can you honestly say you have ever had a bad experience in contacting support?
SysAid Wiz

BJINS wrote:
Lev wrote:

Thats a killer

It's not a complete lie! And can you honestly say you have ever had a bad experience in contacting support?

BJINS, I think he meant it in a positive way (or at least I hope so )
Pushing IT forward
Sue
SysAid Marketing

I hope so too! Thanks to you all for the feedback

I was recently reading about IT achievers and it got me wondering why it seems that some people are more driven to excel than others. I thought it could be interesting to see what others who work in IT have to say, and it's certainly turning out that way.

Personally, I'm with you both on this one BJINS & wallerkr. Provided the salary is reasonable enough, I enjoy being challenged and always need to feel like I'm moving forward in some way. The learning never stops here at SysAid, which keeps me on my toes. Plus, it's a great feeling when you realize that what once seemed impossible is now like second nature to you. Then, if you're like me, you look for the next mountain to climb - and there's no shortage of those in IT!

It's a great attitude to work you have there BJINS by the way - keep it up!

Sue
SysAid Wiz

*Blush*
Well Sue, I try!

It's just those occassions when you slip a few inches from the top of the mountain and have to start again, those are the hard days! But the good times make it worth it!

M
Lev
SysAid Mod

Yes !! I meant in a good way !!!

Ilient support is very good .

I think I come to work to help people and learn.

I find a lot of "food" to the brain in IT.

Of cause I want to bring money home, the more the better.