Poll
Do you work on your vacation?
No 26% [ 35 ]
Yes, I bring my laptop for urgent matters only 30% [ 40 ]
Yes, I check e-mails regularly 35% [ 47 ]
Yes, I work almost fully, even though I'm away from my office 9% [ 12 ]
Total Votes: 134

Author

Find out whether other SysAiders work during their vacation time.....

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Aug. 04, 2008 04:24 AM

Super SysAider

I Usually carry my laptop with me when i'm away for emergency's. However it normally stays in its bag in the cupboard. That said, i check emails regularly on my PDA, and am contactable by mobile majority of the time.

It's a hinderance and a help. Alot of people completely cut ties when they take holidays. I usually find i worry more about the place while im away as to whats happening, problems occuring etc. So being able to keep an eye on mail and still get calls is helpful for me to relax. Also is helpful for the guy whos working your position in your absence. If theirs a problem he/she is unsure of they can give you a quick call and it's solvered just the way you like it easily. That said, if it's not that important, or is really time consuming i will give some advice and leave it up to them.

It also helps when you return, nothing like takin a couple of weeks off to walk back into a mountain of work waiting for you, means you spend a couple of weeks of 10 hour days playing catch up...
Super SysAider

When I have a holiday, I tend to try and relax and get away from all the stress and pressure. So there's nothing worse than carrying a Blackberry or laptop about because you'd only keep looking. VPN is easier to control cause it's a "dial-in" feature that takes effort
"REEEEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!"
SysAid Wiz

I try not to.. and recommend you all to work hard only on your tanning line when on vacation
Pushing IT forward
Elite SysAider

Yeah I'll check my E-mail often during my vacation.

Kind regards,
René
Take a look at my 3D creations and here is a little animation I made
Super SysAider

sometimes. If it's the odd day off here or there then I'll probably at least check my e-mails and reply to anything urgent ..... usually by passing it on to one of my minions with marching orders etc

If I'm off for a week or going abroad then pretty much all IT kit gets left at home. I'm off to India at Christmas for three or four weeks and the only two bits of electrical kit I'm taking are my digital camera (if I've not lost it by then!) and my iPod for the flights and that's it. Otherwise it's low-tech all the way!
Super SysAider

Tim Sutton wrote:... I'm off to India at Christmas for three or four weeks and the only two bits of electrical kit I'm taking are my digital camera (if I've not lost it by then!) and my iPod for the flights .....
oh how prophetic I was! Yes, have lost the digital camera already
SysAider

If you look at the % it totals 101, pretty cool