Assets slow to update after computer is renamed

Author

Hello,

as part of our process of bringing new computers into our fleet, they are renamed a couple of times. The Sysaid agent is installed prior to the final renaming of the computer. We don't see the final host name updated in Sysaid until the following day. We were told this would update within a few minutes if we restarted the Sysaid Agent server or the computer itself but that has not been the case for us. For most of the computers, that issue is corrected the following day. Something happens during the night that updates the assets with the correct host name. However, some of our laptops are sent out into the field and won't be back on our network for months and the host name remains incorrect in our asset management system. Any thoughts on why this update doesn't happen after the Sysaid Agent Service is restarted on the client machine? I put in a ticket months ago but it was never resolved so I thought I would ask here before submitting another ticket.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
SysAid Community Manager Product Team

Hi Aaron,

Are we discussing bug #29630? If so, it is fixed in the latest version of On-Premise which is currently in the Release Candidate stage.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

Hi Danny, thanks for the reply.

No, this is when our windows desktops with the SysAid agents installed don't update information when the SysAid agent service is restarted or when the computer is rebooted. Something triggers them to update the database at some point the following morning but we are under the impression we should be able to reboot the computer and have the host name of the asset updated within a few minutes.

Thanks

Aaron

Interesting. Can you let me know of the ticket number you opened with our support team regarding this issue?

Thanks,
Danny
SysAider

Danny,

I don't see it in my queue anymore. I'm pretty sure I worked on this with someone in the last 90 days. It is possible that I asked about the issue while working on a different issue. It's hard to say but I know I've talked about it with support at some point in the not too distant past.

Any thoughts? The clients will update the database with their new name but it doesn't happen until the following morning. Is there a schedule I can look at?

Thanks

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Perhaps it is related to the Update Asset Data schedule. Please check how it's set, and increase its frequency under Settings > Network Discovery > Update Asset Data. Let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
Danny
SysAider

Hi Danny,

I checked our configuration under the "Update Asset Data" option in Network Discovery. I'm not sure if we need to make some changes to our settings but what we have is not working. It only updates once a day. I have a filter set up for - Type = Workstation, Repeat Every Hour.

I was also told that assets that are agent based would update SysAid every time the SysAid Agent service was restarted. That does not happen if that is the way things should be working. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Aaron